V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm at a loss for words. I go to events to have fun. I think most of the members on the H/D Forum have a similar perspective. The incident at the Laughlin River Run took away much of the fun for me and the folks I rode over with. We left the event a day early and took the loss on the hotel room. Saw a H/A patch holder being frisked by police at a gas station on the way home. Wonder why? Got in late last night.

I need to think about what I should be saying before I post a rambling message here. I know I'm upset. I'm sad, and I'm disgusted.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well the best I can tell, all of our friends here are safe, Soooo...... LOL To Hell with it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a bunch of fuching animals, they take pride in whoever is the most animal-like. Ignorance, pure stupidity emulating something that is lower than you in the food chain. They aint tough, they are fuching idiots.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Well Jim, I am so glad that you and Leece made it back safe. Take some time to gather your thoughts and let us in on the events.

Guess we all have to stay positive since I am sure America will now look at all bikers in a new perspective.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thanks for posting,Jim.
Glad to hear you didn't get caught up in that bad scene.

You know what they say about bad apples.

No need to apologize or anything for posting your thoughts on what must have been a shitty experience.

I don't use the term bro often,but bro,keep the faith!
gudo

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Funny thing is that earlier that day I told the members of my group about my favourite T-shirt slogan.

It's a beautiful day
Now watch some asshole fu(k it up

Way I look at it is that if such events change what I do, they win. I will continue to go wherever I want to go.

They may just have ruined a good thing. In recent years the police had been overagressive. This year they had a curfew for underage people and to some extent you could see burnouts and flashing of body parts in exchange for beads, all in fun and what a biker event should be. It will likely return to Biker Disneyland status now. Not good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Laughlin

I feel bad for the innocent folks caught up in the bullshit at Laughlin , no one needs that. Laughlin for me is a take it or leave it affair, I've been there, met some really neat people and became fast friends with them but it's not really my cup of tea. I don't know what kicked it all off but I've been exposed to the "settling of biker accounts" up here in Canada. We haven't had the wild west shootouts like what happened at Harrah's, just car bombs and drive-by executions. I'm not well connected at all with the 1% clubs but when I was in Sturgis in 2001 I noticed that the Bandidos didn't share a booth with the Angels like they did the year before. From what I gather, the Mongols are Outlaw friendly so who knows what's gonna happen next. I saw some news report about some 50,000 "club members" being at Laughlin and all I can think is here we go ,the press is gonna have a field day with this. The reality of the situation is that this kind of stuff goes on all the time. I've had my handlebars clipped by Bandidos who were in a bigger hurry to get into Sturgis than was I....what does a person do eh? I've left the chainsaw and the hockey stick back in Canada. Some people paint a real romantic picture of the one per center "outlaw"..misunderstood soul full of wanderlust. There's a trial up in Quebec that is trying to decide as to whether or not "Mom" Boucher is guilty of setting up a couple of "hits".
Harley's played on the biker image in marketing their bikes. Some of the HOG chapters have worked this theme as well. There has been a number of "weekend warriors" out there with that "1000 yard stare"....some of those folks got nailed with the "real deal" in action. I see events like Daytona, Sturgis and to a lesser extent, Laughlin, somewhat akin to being in some big city..there's places that you go and there are times that are safe for you to check things out and there are times that maybe it's just time to head out and hit the rack..sooner or later **** is gonna happen. The public is going to associate any rider on a Harley with being a Gang member. It's kind of always been that way..dumb as it is but the truth of the matter is that I've found people have a better perception of me when I'm on the Ducati than when I'm on the Harley..go figure..I'm the same guy. I really hope they clear the Laughlin mess up.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jim, Hippo, and whoever else attended . . . glad you are all okay.

We all know about as much of the "bad" that occured there as we care to know. When you've had time to gather your thoughts, let us know about the "fun".

This terrible incident will be remembered for many years, but it will not ruin the spirit of the event. 99% of the biker population will see to that.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: Laughlin

Sleepy said:
"..... I saw some news report about some 50,000 "club members" being at Laughlin and all I can think is here we go ,the press is gonna have a field day with this......"

I saw the same thing but this is part of the problem. There were NOT 50,000 "Club Members" there. What the press did was take anyone on a Harley and throw them in the same status. That is what the general public does and that is where much of the problem is.

Oh well, I will ride to work like always. Get Downtown. Put on my shirt and tie in the parking lot and do my eight hours. LOL!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Actually had a real good time, one of the better runs to Laughlin.

The thing at Harrah's obviously is going to get blown out of proportion by the media, but was nothing but a hit and self defense and pretty clean at that if you consider no civilian or LE was injured. The same thing happens every day in inner cities across america, usually with civilian injuries. It is just a sad reflection of the society we live in. The media reports these sort of things on page 29 at best, because it is not in their interest to create a public reaction against so called minorities.
Make no mistake, I'm taking no position on this, just looking at it from a tactical point of view.
There was a Vegas fireman and his paramedic bride taken out by a cage, separate bikes, on the hiway from Vegas due to the incompetence and ignorance of a civilian. How come you see no headlines about this. The media doesn't hate bikers, they hate anyone that loves freedom or is a independent thinker, you would have thought the cager who drifted into the wrong lane was the victim the way it was written up.

Maybe the reason it was such a enjoyable run was that we stayed in Lake Havasu instead of Laughlin. It is typically a run that has relatively little riding associated with it, so it tends to get a little boring after a while. Having a good ride in the morning every day before breakfast, over backroads following the shores of the Colorado river for 60 some miles, was a nice change of pace and turned out to be a good ticket.
Add the fact we made a few good new friends and that there was enough time to follow backroads on the way home and the fact the weather was almost perfect as it wasn't as hot as it usually is, and it was a very enjoyable weekend. We even took the time to take the boat across the lake and it brought back good memories, not to mention the good meals we had in little out of the mainstream places in company of friends.

No complaints from here.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I was also there. Sorry I missed the Eyeball guys (and girls). It was my first rrip there for the River Run, and as unfortunate as the incident was, it won't keep me away. I ran into some old friends, met some new ones, and had a great time. My buddies and I left the strip about 1/2 hour before bullets started flying and didn't hear about it until the next morning. No matter what....I'm looking forward to returning next year and hopefully, this time, making the eyeball and meeting some of you. See you next year......

Tony

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Can't help but notice dprice's avatar for this thread. Kind of eerie doncha think?:eek:

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
fourhour said:
Can't help but notice dprice's avatar for this thread. Kind of eerie doncha think?:eek:

LOL!

I actually changed it before the "bullets started flying" at the River Games.

Always liked Pacino, just don't get any better than him. Oh, besides for Dinero.

·
Registered
875 Posts
dprice said:

Always liked Pacino, just don't get any better than him. Oh, besides for Dinero.
my two favorites !!

·
Registered
629 Posts
HIPPO said:
The media doesn't hate bikers, they hate anyone that loves freedom or is a independent thinker
I have to disagree with that statement. The media loves anything you do not hear about often. A traffic accident happens about every few seconds at best. An inner city shooting at least every few minutes. But truely, how often does a biker stir up some real attention, not to often, because the media jumped on it.

I found out last night that my fathers friends went down on thier bikes. Not sure if it was on the way there or on the return. Guy towing a trailer had something hook the front fork. Pitched the pasenger (Dena) off the bike, had to air lift her. The rider (Ken) came out fairly well. Bill, on the other bike broke a foot. All said and done, they should have survived, but they came out okay in optomistic terms.

Both bikes were destroyed.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Sidewalk said:
I have to disagree with that statement. The media loves anything you do not hear about often.
Bullshit.

The media has a left wing agenda, want proof?

You heard about the guys that killed Mathew Shepard right?

I'll be you didn't hear a word about the death of Jesse Dirkhising (two homosexuals kidnapped him, raped him for 2-3 days until he suffocated from being gagged with his own underware).

Why did you hear about the former and not the latter? Right, media bias.

HIPPO was right on the money.

wyodude

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
wyodude said:

"...(two homosexuals kidnapped him, raped him for 2-3 days until he suffocated from being gagged with his own underware).

wyodude

Yea and if Harley Davidson owned Fruit of The Loom you'd a heard about it and they'd a blamed it on the underware.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I have'nt heard anything about it in this area other than two news articles in the paper. The most I've heard is right here on the boards and it is all negative. (particullary cycleworld) I will say that I have not watched the TV news as much lately as in the past. We have had some news reports that were gettting out of hand lately. The hockey fathers, this fat **** that killed 7 co-workers, the Skagel (Kennedy kin) case down in Conn. It seems that everytime the TV news is on, it is the same story over and over. Frickin' sick of it!:mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts