V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first Harley this year. One of those guys who bought all the magazines, Harley books, Harley Tapes, a few shirts, but was never allowed a motorcycle growing up, then the same thing when I got married. Then got good life insurance and the wifey said maybe a Harley wouldnt be such a bad idea after all!.LOL. Not really, Ive got a good ole lady. She really understands shes got to let her old man get out and do the things weve got to do..........with limits, of course. <G> But hey, what an incredible experience. I took Harleys Riders Edge class(wouldnt of bought one without it!), I have riden 1800 miles in 5 months, thru the winter no less! Spent endless hours when not riding thinkin about ridin or dressin up my Fatboy............Ive fallen HARD For HD! Wouldnt consider anything else. Ive attached a pic of my 2002 FLSTF. Im very proud!:) :)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Nice lookin' bike, Memphis. Taking the safety course was a good idea.

Invite your wife along for a ride. 'could become a real family affair.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Welcome MemphisFB. Make yourself at home. I see you got the hang of attaching pictures already. Thanks. Hope you have a back seat for your wife....your going to need it if she's anything like mine. Enjoy your new ride and tell us of your riding experiences with it when you can. It will be prime riding weather across the nation soon.

Later,

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
memphisFB,

Nice scooter:D Your missus sounds like a gem.

Is that I V&H 2 in 1 pipe? How does it sound? Got stage 1? What kind of seat? Any other goodies?
TIA,

wyodude

·
Registered
684 Posts
Welcome aboard! That's a good looking bike, but the LL won't like ridin' the fender! Get something comfortable so she'll want to join you. Use the solo when she don't. (IMO, solo's look better.)

I'll be passing through your neighborhood next month. Going to Wichita to meet up with two old buddies from the service.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the solo seat portion of the stock 2 up seat. The pipes are Vance and Hines. I really like the 2 in 1 performance and sound. I had a set of the old Big Shots but didnt like the noticeable performance loss, plus the sound of short pipes as you roll off the throttle. Sold them on bikerheaven .com for 325 bucks.My wife isnt really into the biker thing. She enjoys going for a ride in the country every now and then. I attach the stock pillion and the sissy bar for her. Im trying to convince her to go with me to Atlanta for the National Rally, but I think she is gonna fly, because Im gonna ride.<G> Its the small child at home thing, thats on her mind. Hey, she let me have the Fatboy, we;ll do the rally her way.LOL

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Awesome looking ride. Sounds like we married sisters. (Well, they're all sisters afterall)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wyodude, my bike has a carb, weve got it tuned down at idle and it just sits there with a nice slow Potato-Potato........I added a screamin eagle hi airflow kit, rejetted with the Propipe, and the performance is significant. For Bike Night, take the baffles out, lose alot of performance, but that big pipe is INSANE loud. Never too loud for Bike Night!:D I added a detachable windshield. Makes all the difference in the world for high speed, and winter. Ive enclosed a pic with the detachable windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Welcome...

Hey Memphis,

Welcome to the forum. Lotsa respectable individuals around here.
Phat Fatty ya got there. I like the limited edition paint on the FL line. A little too retro for the Sporty and FXD. Suits yours fine!

Be careful setting your idle down below 900 rpm. The bottom end becomes very unhappy as does the rest of your recriprocating assembly when acceptable oil pressure isn't maintained. That rumpy idle may sound cool but the oil starved internals aren't. Keep idle rpm at or above 900.

Good luck with that pretty scooter and enjoy.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Mike:
They got it tuned around 1000-1100 rpms. 65 year old men get down right "weepy" over this bike. I had one literally stand beside it for a good minute or two before he shook his head and said "God does this bring back memories, I had a car this color once when I was in my teens." When my wife first saw it, she didnt like it. She said all Harleys are BLACK! LOL. Its grown on her now. I told her atleast I dont see myself coming and going all over town..........except when you go to Daytona or Sturgis, where the other 4 to 600 will be.....<G>

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I guess I misundertook ya...

Hey Memphis,

Yea the idle is just fine at anywhere between 900 and 1100 rippums. When you said yoy had it tuned down low to give that potato, potato idle you kinda frightened me.

The uninitiated feel my FXDX is overly loud as it blows through 2 1/4" Street Sweepers. Most of my buddies think it's sweet music since they know a hi comp motor when they hear it. Neighbors downright hate it!

Been pondering the thought of gracing it with a Thunderheader. Still loud as I like 'em but will probably give me a few more ponies than the Big Guns. A friend of mine pings me about the Thunderheader every time we talk scooters. He's in the Zippers 11 second club with a 100 cu. in. rigid Shovel.

Enjoy,

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome Memphis. Great lookin' ride ya got there. Did you see how fast you got advice on something......and you just got here!!!!! Now that's service:D Stick around and we may learn something from you and vice-versa. Can't let a day go by without checkin' in at least 5 times a day. Enjoy your stay.
Sheepboy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice ride! I was gonna buy the same color scheme but went with the Purple Charcoal limited ed. paint instead. Love em both, nice to see it with mods too, give me some idea where to head...

Good luck with her!!

Joe

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good lookin' scoot.

I've heard others mention that its a limited edition color.. Is this a numbered set, or something that is only available for a limited time?
Just curious. I think it looks awesome on a fatboy. Keep up the good work! nickp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand it correctly, it's a Phase 3 paint job. There's a limited number of them, but they are NOT numbered. At Liberty Harley in Rahway NJ, there's a Fatboy, Springer, and a Wide Glide with that nostalgic color scheme available if anyone is interested. I live close to there, so if anyone needs a scout, just let me know...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Paint..

I too have seen at my local dealership (Bob Dron H-D, Oakland CA) that
scheme on a Fatboy and a Deuce as well as the Heritage softail. I thought it looked exceptionally good on the Fatboy and the Heritage.

Didn't know it was a limited edition though. Later. nickp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts