V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been here a month or so, but jumped straight in to the riches of experience / advice. I realised later the courteous way to begin was through this forum - so here goes - apologies I didn't start this way.

I feel like a lucky barstewart! I'm married to my soul mate, have two incredible boys by same (one 3 yrs old, the other 6 months), was born brought up in Ireland and now live in Scotland.

I'm "into" old cars - recently sold a 70's Humber Sceptre, 1959 Rover P4, and still have a 1971 Rover P5B Coupe (the B denoted it's a Buick based V8 engine which Rover "bought" in the late 60's).

It's been a lifetime ambition to own and ride a Harley. Started as a child when I stood open mouthed at the road edge as my first "sighting" passed by; at the time didn't even know what it was.

Around 6 years ago I went through the rigerous training necessary over here to get my biking licence. Then bought a Honda NTV 650 Deauville (at least its a V twin!) to gain road experience and general confidence. Also completed advanced ridier training with the IAM over some 5+ months. I "passed" the course after a 90 minute rapid riding session with two police dispatch riders on my tail assessing my ability! (You can imagine all the other road users reactions - they thought it was a "hot pursuit" in action!!:D

I've been indecisive about which Harley to buy, and have read extensively, asked for views / guidance here, and dreamt alot!! Thought about the RKC, Heritage Classic or Heritage Springer.

Anyway, the deal was done a few weeks back. A 2003 Heritage Springer (Slv / Blk) has been ordered and will arrive March 2003. Given my family commitments for now my annual mielage is very low, and the Springer is the way I always thought my Harley would look. My plans are that it will be a "keeper"for life, and passed onto one of my sons. I'll then go for the more practicle option of a RK or Gilde, when family circumstances allow me more opportunity to tour.

That's it - how happy am I :D :D

Thanks to everyone here who's helped me out so far. You folk have quite something going here. Hope I can help someone out in the coming months.

Cheers for now.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
A belated welcome, continue to enjoy and share.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Good Intro!

Welcome to the H/D Forum, Tom. That was quite an interesting intro. Thanks for sharing.

As you can tell, the H/D Forum has an international membership. Enjoy your time here. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Tom Skillen said:
was born brought up in Ireland and now live in Scotland.
That's it - how happy am I :D :D

I'm from 'You're' part of the world.
If you run into any 'problems' that I can help you with,
just ask..........;)
Dermot.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts