V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

As this is my first ever 'NEW' bike, I want to pose a question...

It was due it's first service at 1000 miles. Fast approaching that mileage, I called my dealer who cannot get it done for some time yet. The bike has now done 1400 miles and I am a bit concerned.....is this likely to harm the engine/gearbox?

Thanks in advance!

Ride safe
paj

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
paj,

YIKES!

With a new engine its important to change the oil as any little metal bits from the new engine will be in yer oil. CHANGE IT, even if you have to do it yerself.

wyo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. That's what I thought....and will do the oil change pronto! Two more Q's tho WYO:

What oil?
Where is the drain plug (I don't get an 'owners manual' in the UK)

And maybe a third Q!

Where do I get hold of an Owner's Manual?

Cheers!

paj

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Oil you need is
If ambient temp is <4 degrees celsius use :HD Multi-Grade SAE10W40
If ambient temp is >4 degrees celsius use :HD Multi-Grade SAE20W50
You will need 4.5 quarts to do the job.

The drain plug is located on the forward bottom part of the engine, kneel down and look across where the jiffy-stand pivots and you'll see it.

Also if you want to make life easier you can loosen the radiator mounting bracket on the bottom to make it easier to remove the old filter.

And as for the manual...well you won't believe this but I constantly get hits on eBay (www.eBay.com), do a search for "V-Rod" or "VRSC".
I found a VRSCA Electronics Manual that the dealer said didn't exist!
So yes there are *two* manuals, and typically they run about $50 US on eBay.

-Hope this answered your question.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you clean the drain plug? It's magnetic and collects all those nasty little metal shavings, you don't want running around in you engine. Got to get a paper towel and wipe around inside the drain plug.

Hope it's not too late,

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep - gave it a damn good clean. Although (and here's a comment about build quality) there was hardly anything on it. What there was appeared like grey graphite grease - all cleaned anyway. And thanks for help!

paj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts