1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some sad news:

LARRY GRODSKY

Top motorcycle-training expert known as "Mr. Safety"

Fort Stockton, Texas --- Larry Grodsky, a Pennsylvania-based motorcycle-training expert known as "Mr. Safety," died when his motorcycle struck a deer on a rural West Texas highway, authorities said.

Mr/ Grodsky, 55, was traveling north on U.S. Highway 385 about 30 miles south of Fort Stockton on Saturday (04/08/06) night when the accident occurred, Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange said Monday.

Mr. Grodsky, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown from his 1997 Kawasaki Police 1000 and pronounced dead at the scene, Ms. Mange said.

The Pittsburgh resident was a leader in motorcycle safety and had trained some 5,000 riders since 1980, according to his Website.

Family members said he had picked up a motorcycle in california and was in Texas to visit friends on the way home when the accident occurred.

"He was a happy person, and he enjoyed what he was doing," his father, Harold Grodsky, said Monday by telephone.

Larry Grodsky had been writing the "Stayin' Safe" column in Rider magazine since 1988 and led riding tours throughout the country.

In October, he raised nearly $6,000 for Hurricane Katrina relief in an event put together by Pittsburgh-area motorcycle enthusiasts, according to a story in the Pittsburgh Post-gazette.

"He was the kind of person, he had friends on every continent," his sister, Marcia Grodsky, told The Associated Press. "He could walk into a cafe in Pittsburgh or Kosovo, and within 10 minutes he had make a friend for life."

Mr. Grodsky graduated from Ohio University, where he wrestled. Ie also enjoyed skiing and mountain biking.

In addition to his father and sister, survivors include his mother, Violet Grodsky, and his longtime girlfriend, Mary Ann Puglisi.

He was the nephew of Myron Cope, the longtime Pittsburgh Steelers announcer who retired last year.

(Article taken from Dallas Morning News, 04/12/06, pg. 11B)

·
scooter coot
321 Posts
That sucks. At least he was doing what he loved. It just goes to show you that when it's your time, there is nothing you can do about it. My thoughts are with his family.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
If he can't survive that situation, makes you wonder about the rest of us. How much more prepared do you have to be?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Used to enjoy his column, sad news indeed.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
Sad to hear. I have never seen as many deer in one state as I have in Texas. One of my buddies got caught between two back in November and was able to avoid #1 but #2 totalled out his bike. Thankfully, he and his fiance were wearing helmets and all their gear and walked away just a little banged up.

I can't even count how many have jumped out in front of me in the past 1.5 years. Seems like it is not a matter of if but when for a deer collision in Texas.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
bebrewer said:
Thankfully, he and his fiance were wearing helmets and all their gear and walked away just a little banged up.
I'm glad your friends are OK but Larry was wearing a helmet too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very,very sad,I read his articles all the time. We in Mich have tons of deer too! One must take real care to avoid common deer paths but in a strange location only God knows.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
cwo2lt said:
I'm glad your friends are OK but Larry was wearing a helmet too.
True, but my friends hardly ever wore theirs and it was fortunate that they were that day. Helmets can't always save you but they do give you a better chance of survival.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sad news indeed. Grodsky was a professional who enjoyed what he was doing. i have enjoyed his insight for years in his Rider articles. Damm those deer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hate to hear it. Damn deer cause a lot of trouble. I survived a collision with a big doe a few years back, I won that one, but it still hurts to this day. There should be a LOT more doe hunts in this country, most of the deer/motorcycle incidents I have hears of involve does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts