V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the Sears and Larin lifts have been discussed to death in here but I would like to hear what you all think about the higher priced ones. It seems a bit foolish to me to spend $18,000.00 or more for a bike and then trust it too a $79.00 lift. However by the same token it seems just as foolish to pay $400.00 for a lift if a $79.00 lift will do the job just as well. Is ther anything about the Pit Bulls or Super Jack etc that make them worth that much more? Do they do anything any better? Also I have heard the tales about the bolts on a Larin lift being too soft and failing but has anyone ever actually known of one that failed or is this perhaps an urban legend perhaps started by the manufacturers of the high dollar lifts. Any thoughts on the subject? I would reallylike to hear fron people on both sides. Thank you and ride safe!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
My opinion is that if all you do is lift your own bike once a month and don't roll it around on the lift constantly, the larin's are fine and spending more would be a waste.

If you store your bike on a lift and roll it into the corner every night or use it a few times a week because you have a few bikes or a shovelhead, then i'd spring for maybe a C-lift mega at about $300.

Unless I was stinking rich or worked on bikes for a living i wouldn't see a need for the ones that are $400 and up.

The larin is admittedly less than rock solid, you can rock the bike a bit if it isn't tied down, but I suspect the tales of them failing completely to be urban legend.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I have never been one to wring my hands and lament low paying jobs move overseas. I am more one to make sure I am in a job that isn't so generic that is is in danger of going overseas. Would you like their $2.00/hour jobs back here in the US?

It is not as simple as buying a chinese product or a US product. If I spend $100 on a chinese lift instead of $400 on a US-made lift I have $300 left which I can use to pay a local painter to paint my house trim. The first choice (chinese lift) sends about $250 in wages to the painter.
The second choice (US lift) creates maybe $80 total US labor wages going all the way down the build process from milling the steel to making the casters to painting the lift. Because the second choice also leaves the profits here in the US, there is also some downstream possibility of another $150 or so I suppose (after taxes).

The pure financial look at this choice makes you think they are a wash but tell me which choice raised my standard of living and the standard of living of other US workers more?

I am not saying everyone is better off because I bought a chinese lift and i am making no comment on their political/moral deficiencies but there is a case to be made that buying products from overseas is not a pure blow to the US economy....in some cases it is a net gain and lets me ride saturday while I provide gainfull employment to a good old american house painter.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have recently bought a 2 tonne car jack for the equivalent of 30 bucks.
A few days ago I put a foot control extension kit on and the jack worked just fine.
I put a 6" by 18" by 1" piece of solid wood between the jack and the frame to stabilise the bike on the jack and I tie the bike to a pillar on each side.
It is rock solid.
I will be switching to a Fat Boy whhel in the next few days and will do all my maintenance with that lift.
So far so good.
The way I use it I would not spend 400 bucks for a lift.
But as it was said before if you move the bike around every night and store it in the winter then the expensive lift might be a better option.

Good luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are several USA lifts available in the $100-175 price range, Easy-roller, Harbor Freights, Sport-lift, etc.
I'm not too concerned about the effect my $125 USA lift had on the economy, I just know from my own wrenching experience not to buy foreign tools.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The sport lift seems like the way to go...those pics in the Ebay ad look familiar. as long as shipping is reasonable it is a good deal and one i would have gone for had it been available when I bought my Chinese Sam's Club Larin lift.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always try to buy American when I can but unfortunatly I am not in an economic position where I can afford to pay 300 to 400% or more to buy American. If we were talking maybe $30 to $50 difference then maybe I would spend the extra to buy U.S. Also like someone else stated earlier spending the $79 on the chinese lift leaves me at least $220 to spend elsewhere like maybe hire a neighborhood kid to mow my grass all summer for me.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
harbor freight sells something american made???????? wow now thats hard to believe :). so now you are goin to buy something from harbor freight that is american made, even though 95% of their merchandise is chinese made? sort of a contradiction. i buy american when i can. when i ordered my craftsman, they didnt have any in stock and no way of telling where it was made. the store owners of the local sears said i could get my money back if it turned out to be chinese. well when it came i saw that it was a quality piece so i took it and it is the cats meow.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I am not completely convinced the Harbor Freight lift is US made. are we to assume they are made in Hawaii and Freighted into Long Beach Harbor?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I'm not that curious.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just had a sale on the Craftsman lift. I went, I saw. I bought. Heavy duty construction and the grunt factor from taking it out of the pickup impressed me. Comes with 2 tie down straps, and castors for $99.00. Looks like 3 hard lock positions, I wouldn't trust just the hydraulic jack to hold all the time. I don't know about it being American made, but in this day and age, does it really matter as long as the quality is there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts