V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to this site, and was wondering if anyone knew what the largest size rear tire I can put on my 03 FXST was? I'm sure this has been addressed before but any help would be apprecaited.
Thanks,
BigSexy

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
largest tire for 03 FXST

Don't know how far away you live, but we specialize in 300mm right-side drive wide tire conversions for stock HD softails. Manufacture our own swingarms in-house and our prices for complete installations that are affordable, especially if you are looking at an offset kit! I joined this site because we were getting a lot of people coming into our shop telling me they wish they knew about us before they got their offset kit. Check out our website. I own an 03 Heritage Softail myself and there are pics of it, along with several other softails on the site. The business name is Chubby's Choppers in Lansing, MI. I can't post the website address here, but it is easily found on the major search engines, or send me an email.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're asking about the stock rear end, I have a 150 Avon Venom on my '02 Night Train, on a billet wheel. I believe the wheel is slightly wider than stock, but I'm not 100% sure of that. There's almost zero clearance to the sides with this setup, and it looks pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Have a 150 on my 01 Night Train also, just turned the fender strut bolts inside out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm running a 160x60x18 Avon Azzaro on a Weld Recluse on my '02 FXST. It's been lowered 2" and wheel respaced within the fender, (centered). I did extensive bolt head reduction, (made them 1/2" "T-heads"), machined the caliper and everything clears fine. Running the Bobtail fender. Absolutely the biggest tire I'll get within the confines of the stock fender.

I have a brand new 170x60x18 Avon I bought to try, but it was just a little too wide in the fender, otherwise it cleared everythng else. It's for sale....$100.00+SH.. Takers can email me if interested

I've been to several shows where I saw 180's inside a 9" aftermarket Bobtail fender/struts and stock swing arm. Of course there was significant changes made to accommodate it, primarily cutting off the stock inner frame struts and calculated shimming / spacing of the wheel, pulley, caliper and rotor, not to mention aftermarket struts to accommodate the wider fender. Painting the fender to match is another expense, particularly if you have custom paint as opposed to a solid color. Stock seat works fine, as long as the fender is replaced with the same type the seat it's made for.

A wider tire can be had without spending thosands of dollars for a "kit" as long as you're happy with a 160-180. A Duce will take a wider tire more easily becasue of the fender design. Have a buddy who is running a V Rod 180 tire on his '03 Duce right now. Looks awesome, clearance is close, but adequate with no rubbing.

DLR

DLR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts