V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The home page says there are just over 1000 members for this HD Forum site. I like this site. Thought the layout and such are quite good. But I have to believe that there must be other sites that have more members -- therefore more inputs, ideas, Q & A, etc. Can someone suggest?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bruce said:
Are you looking for quantity or quality????
As an advertising standpoint I am looking for quantity. But I am sure sobay5some is looking for quality.

P.S. You can PM me the URL's if you do not want to post them here.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
IMHO, this is one of if not the BEST H/D forums around. Not that I'm bias or anything.:D And it's rapidly becoming one of the biggest.

Each group has its own focus and clientele. The behavior on each is also very different. For example, one of our members operates his own Forum over on Delphi. I'm also a member there. In that forum, I recently saw several posts about how members would pelt a car (cage) with bolts, ball bearings, rocks, etc. for an offense against a biker on the road. In this forum, we had such a discussion with a very different conclusion on how to handle the problem.

The larger H/D oriented groups, forums, boards that I am aware of do not accept commercial advertising. Some of these groups/forums/boards are very vocal in their opposition to advertising. I saw one of your posts on a H/D newsgroup recently and wanted to warn you about the likely response. At that time, you did not have a PM or e-mail address listed so I wasn't able to reach you. I think you recall the response.

Bottom line, I am NOT aware of any larger commercial H/D groups/forums/boards. The larger noncommercial H/D Internet groups do not permit advertisers or spam. The H/D Forum, on the other hand, provides a top notch site experience in the forums without overloading members with advertising. No free site that I've found has anywhere near the resources and benefits of this site. For the great experience that is available here, IMHO I don't think the members object to the advertising. And no, I don't have a financial interest in the site.

·
Registered
111 Posts
pasadenajim said:
IMHO, this is one of if not the BEST H/D forums around. Not that I'm bias or anything.:D And it's rapidly becoming one of the biggest.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have found the level of flaming and sarcastic responses to be much lower in this forum compared to some of the newsgroups. Most of the posts are constructive and answer the question asked.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
sobay5some, of course there are other forums that are larger. This one is growing rapidly for a forum that is just months old though. People get attached to a forum and return time and time again. Some find a home and never leave. But most all of us visit and interact on other forums as well. I've seen some grow very rapidly into large forums just over the last year. That's what makes the internet so great....sharing information and reaching so many people through so many sites. But the good thing is that any new idea posted here is spread almost verbatim to other forums in a short time and vise/versa. Amazing how that works.

Each forum that I visit has it's own personality. The regulars like to visit and post often. You kind of get to know them through their posts. We tend to judge them by their words and form an opinion of them...good or bad. We like to hang out where we feel comfortable.

I like to make everyone feel welcome. I have posted at sites where I introduced myself, posted where I could be helpful, asked questions when I had them, but no one was interested in making me feel at home with a welcome or any other new member. They are content with the small group that have posted for years and didn't really have room for more friends in the group it seems. That's fine, that's why so many sites are good. If you don't like one you will surely find one/some that you do.

I have to laugh sometimes when I see some of the same names show up at different sites that have a different story at different ones. For an example I see this guy who on one site didn't have a bike for a long time but claimed he did. He finally admitted that he didn't and hadn't ridden in years because he had to stop and raise a family and put children and family first. But recently he boldly jumps into some riders at another forum saying that someone who gave up riding years ago and returned is not a real biker like him. He said if they were real they would have done what was necessary to continue riding though those times. LOL

Let's face it....the statistics show who the real Harley riders are and the average age and the average income and the average experience and such. The ones' that put on and run down others want to believe and have everyone believe that they are something different...a REAL biker. I guess they suppose that a REAL biker has a nasty disposition and they like to point out who's not the REAL thing. "you are a RUB, YUP, POSER" kind of thing. That's funny when you come to realize that they fit the average statistics as well as anyone does but they like to "play a role" that makes them different. LOL

Yep, getting to know people on the net is a trip. Some likable, some real assholes. But forums are a wonderful thing for learning. I support them because I have a thing about getting rapped by the HD service department. If you can share what you know and learn form what others know, we can avoid some of that from the shops.

sobay5some, I didn't see you share any of your favorite sites with us. Fair is fair. Come on with um. And put a plug in for us there too.

If you made it this far I will share one of my favorite sites with you that I visit/read. It's got some cool members and you just have to like the friendly welcomes and the vast tech knowledge.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/hawgryder/start

Later,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps a few clarifications: I didn't know this site is just a few months old. That would account for the small number of members. And did not find any items in the Review section. By the way, I think that (Review Section) should be a lot of fun to go to if and when it comes up.

I also agreed with all the responses so far to my question. This site does contain a lot of features. Thats why I like it. My son has a Honda 600, and I looked at one of the sports bike forum. Quite frequently you will see comments from the sports bike riders how much they don't like Harley riders. At least I do not see the same here.

Guess I am surprised that for the hugh number of harley owners that there isn't a bigger site. Could it be that most hogs are older in age and therefore don't like to go online as the younger sport bike riders?

I am a brand new fat boy owner. Actually I am a brand new rider. Its my first bike. I didn't get my motocycle license till just a few months ago. A forum like this is great -- I can get a lot of info and learn more about an item that I spent tons of money on. I am over 50. Better late than never to be a hog owner.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
The site

Sobay5some,

Well the members speak and hit it right on the head! I am sure there are other sites out there with more members. We are just another venue for those looking for information on Harley-Davidson.

We have a very mature group of bikers here that all share the same passion, riding. The moderators here are extremely knowledgeable and friendly to all of our users which really makes coming back to the site a pleasure and an addiction.

The best of all, is that this site is FREE. All of the expenses have come out of my pocket which has come to the tune of over $1000. This site was erected because I wanted a place for true Harley enthusiasts to come share information with one another without all of the "crap" associated with some of the other newsgroups/bulletin boards. We do banner advertisements only to HELP with the monthly server costs.

As for the other features of the board, they take money to do it right. (Good scripts cost). They will slowly be revamped as we get time and resources together. Looking for better hosting, working on a user friendly picture gallery w/ upload capability as we speak. But in due time, this will be the spot!

If anyone is interested, check here: http://stats.harleydavidsonforum.com

We have ALOT of lurkers out there.

Glad that you joined us and welcome aboard! And you are right, better late than never in joining the H-D family! :)

Enjoy that new Fatty!

·
Registered
380 Posts
good forums

as you can tell i am new and have not made many posts but i have looked at other posts and i think there is a lot of bull $hi on them. i like this one i beleive it has good people watching over it and not letting it get out of hand. so my 2 cents is i like it here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the board/forum sobay5some. Congrats on the new Fatboy! As has been previously stated so eliquently by some of the other members here, we are a more "mature" group of riders at this forum. We welcome new folks all of the time. Questions are more than welcome and more than likely someone here will be able to furnish an answer. I like to say that this board is very comfortable. I can pull up here with a cup of coffee and read some good stuff and get a chuckle every now and again. Not many flamers here either. If there is any criticism, its predominatly constructive. I'm sure there are other forums out there, such as the one mentioned earlier, hawgryder, and I occassional have visited there. But I spend 99% of my time here, because it fulfills what I'm looking for in a HD forum. So I stopped looking when I found this board. Since this is your first bike and you are a new rider, may I suggest you sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation New Rider course. It will give you some great information on how to ride safer etc. They also offer an experienced rider course that you can then take after you have gained some good experience. Again, welcome and hope to see you here often. :)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
About the Board.

Sobay5some,

I had an answer for you about this board, but I read the post by Fifth Gear dated 02-27-02 @10:08. That said it all for me.
Congrats on the ownership of the Fatboy. Stay in touch and let us know what it like for you now that you are riding a H.D.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like this forum but was hoping for more experience from users since
I havn't bought my first Harley yet. I wanted more information about
the Softtail, and hopefully as this site grows I will find what I am looking
for.

About my only gripe with this site is that is seems to load slowly on my
PC (and I'm on a T1 line). Of course, the membmership dues to join
this board were outrageous...:eek:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just found this terrific forum today. Congratulations to the founder(s)!!!

If you want some real abuse and/or some great laughs go to the Google newsgroup: rec.motorcycyles.harley This place is "run" by a group that could easily be described as retards and morons that actually think they are funny.

Thanks again for a wonderful place to be.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts