V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Who Really Cares...
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '06 Night Train. I'm dyin' to put pipes and A/C on it. Not sure of what the future holds. I like the idea of the adjustability that the SERT offers. I don't think much of Dealers/Dealer Mechanics. I do all my own work. This is my first Bike.

I'm trying to decide which way I want to go with EFI Tuning. Considering Power Commander(No Computer Needed). I'm Really considering SERT. I work a little with computers. I own a desktop, no laptop.

I'm thinking of buying a dedicated Used laptop for SERT.

What should I be looking for? Can I spend $100-$200 for the Laptop? Ebay's got millions of 'em.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
You only need the laptop to use the data recorder because you have to connect it and drive with it attached. To program the ECM you can use any computer with a serial port. As for the laptop, it should have a serial port and be running windows, the newer the version the better but I believe the SERT works winth windows 98 and up. Maybe even windows 95 but don't get one that old. And I would try to find it with XP. The serial port is the biggest requirement.

·
Who Really Cares...
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Springer.

I'd like to be able to do everything from the laptop in my garage.

XP and serial port. Got it. I think...

·
Who Really Cares...
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Finding out some of the newer Laptops don't have a serial port. Only USB's.

Is there an adapter that can be used?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Another option is to buy a PC Card (PCMCIA) that gives it a serial port. Some have had problems with USB adapters.

I personally have never used either one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
buy computer for pc

:badmood:
Billman...

sorry ,but I think buying A used computer to load a BAD map in to your 20,000 dollar harley is A REAL BAD IDEA............

I get $175. to custom map a bike... your area should be $225-$250

A custom map on a dyno with a a/fr meter can give the bike what it neads .....not what you THINK it wants...DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.......?prty: :thumbsup:

Good Luck

STEVE THE DYNO GUY: cheers:

·
Who Really Cares...
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Laptop would have multiple uses...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you posted about every bike being different? No 2 bikes take the same map? If that's the case, how could All the maps be bad? One of them has to be good for somebody's bike. Maybe mine. Maybe not. I'm willing to load it and fine tune myself. Especially with the help of this forum.

My original plan was a Stage 1 Download. $200. Still have a Lean Bike.

SERT has this Generic Map already? A couple hundred more and I can Infinatetly Tune. Looking down the road too.

I don't doubt your a qualified Dyno operator/tuner. Reading your posts makes me believe that.

Finding one around here might be hard.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mapping

Billman,
All canned maps are 10% or more rich...its called cover your a$$...they add fuel to a good map .....WHY...they know some one will load map X in to a bike that needs map Z......IE. A customer with 01 bagger -dealer installed stage 2 ( 95 in, 203 cams slip ons and ness air filter hd flash ) it will run lean on bottom end (15.5-16) and rich on top end (12.6) add pc usb and map 348 ( not sure of #) ,now its closer BUT CUSTOMER ADDED FORCEWINDER AIR FILTER ...at 5000 RPM this air filter adds a LOT OF AIR and A V&H pro pipe or thunder headder now we have a whole new animal the customer does not realize this......you can see how this can go NUTS ......the sert unit has the same problem but it takes twice as long to map

How can you fine tune with out A O2 sensor....... at 13.2-1 AFR it runs good at13.4-1 AFR it runs good at 13.6-1 YOU BURN A HOLE IN A PISTON....:265:

Add to this the difference between bikes.......#[email protected]

You can not read plugs as easy with unleaded fuel as you could the old leaded fuel......the world is a changing :whisper:

Good Luck

STEVE THE DYNU GUY :cheers:

·
Banned
313 Posts
Dyno Man

I hate to disagree, but you making a blanket statement about AFR which is flat out wrong. A HD will run all day long at 13.6 : 1 just fine and not burn a hole in a piston. Now if it's at WOT and 13.6 : 1 that's another story! Just as any other tool the SERT is just the tool. The operator is the one responsible for making correct decisions. A dyno helps but it can be done just fine without one, after all we've been tuning carb. bikes for years without dyno's haven't we? EFI is the same thing, it just allows a finer tune than a carb. every will.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sorry

Steve Cole

Sorry about the bird......:whisper: I reacted rather than respond :yikes:

Good Luck

STEVE THE DYNO GUY !drunk! :cheers:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Steve Handy said:
Steve Cole

Sorry about the bird......:whisper: I reacted rather than respond :yikes:
You can edit your post and remove the bird icon if you wish.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Steve Handy said:
Sorry about the bird.....
People are allowed to disagree. Since you weren't clear in your answer you should be thanking him for clearing that up, not flipping him off. I see you said sorry, did you know you can edit it out if you want?

·
Banned
313 Posts
Problem is most of the people here are not in the business so making the blanket statement you did was wrong and misleading. We need to help the members understand what they are doing, not tell them it cannot be done. I"ve been tuning engines for a long time (30+ years) and dyno's were not around for most of it. I own three dyno's, now it's just another tool that makes the job easier as long as you know how to use it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Steve Cole said:
Problem is most of the people here are not in the business so making the blanket statement you did was wrong and misleading. We need to help the members understand what they are doing, not tell them it cannot be done. I"ve been tuning engines for a long time (30+ years) and dyno's were not around for most of it. I own three dyno's, now it's just another tool that makes the job easier as long as you know how to use it.
@gree:

Right on, Brother! Too many folks think that the Dyno is the end all, be all.

In fact, there can be pretty big differences between a supposedly good dyno tune and actually tuning a motor for best 1/4 mile performance.

The chassis Dyno is just another tool to help get the tune up in the ball park, more quickly. Getting AFR data is essential but they do not replicate the real world dynamics, it is but another data point along the way to getting everything optimized.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts