V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lane split daily for several years just to get to work. Lane splitting is a constant fact of life here in N. Calif and several close calls with lane changing cagers changed the way I lane split. I thought I would share some of the lessons I have learned.
1. Maximnum speed while lane splitting is 25-30 mph.
2. Always lane split between the #1 and #2 lanes
3. Anticipate more lane changing hazards from cagers in the vicnity of on and off ramps.
4. Anticipate lane changing from cagers that are following trucks.
5. Anticipate lane changes by drivers who follow other vehicles that are following traffic ahead of them at a safe distance.
6. Watch the rear-view mirrors of every car you pass to see if they see you or are planning a lane change.
7. Watching for turn signals is useless as drivers in heavy traffic seldom use them. In California, a turn signal used to signal a lane change is often used against the driver desiring the lane change. "Courteous" drivers will close the gap to prevent the lane change.
7. Stay in a gear that allows rapid acceleration if needed.
8. Cover the clutch.
9. Cover the brakes..I know, goes against what I was taught.
10. Have the horn button covered.
11. Ride as if every vehicle you are passing will make a lane change into you
12. Watch for young generation Y'ers driving Japanese brand vehicles with booming audio systems. Such people seem to lack the judgement and maturity to accept traffic delays and tend to make the most abrupt and senselss lane changes.
13. Loud pipes save lives? Jury is out on this one...
14. Ride with your headlight on..cop bikes have a headlight on/off switch.
15. Bots Dots are slippery when wet.
16. All bets are off while lane splitting when dark.
17. Watch for cigartette butts and phlegm tossed out at you.
18. Watch for gaps in traffic that allow cagers to change lanes.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Raised reflectors

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
19. watch out for shitbirds. On the few occasions I've lanesplit, its been due to some type of traffic problem. There are some fucken cagers that will try to stop you from proceeding. Some kind of fuckedup if-I'm-stuck-your-stuck traffic mentality.

wyo

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Kaliforn-i-A is the only State that legally permits lane splitting. It's one of the CA points of enlightenment, unlike the Fascits helmet law.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't know much about the subject, since it is illegal in my home state. However being in Germany, during a 'Stau'/ traffic jam you have to be aware of the lane splitters.(I don't ride here) I may be in the minority, but I feel it is an unsafe practice. To each his own, but not only do you have to worry about cagers to the left, but the right also. It's very common here and the bikers act like it is their right to be there. Fortunately I haven't seen any bad outcomes while someone was lane splitting. I guess it does piss off some drivers.
Also, and I don't if people do this in the States, but bikers and even the f*ckers on mopeds will hop in front of you at lights. Now that $hit pisses me off. I watch out for bikers when I'm in the cage, but thoses MFers I'd like to put a bumper on!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
upflying said:

11. Ride as if every vehicle you are passing will make a lane change into you
The only way to ride "that way" is to not lane split.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not aware California is one of few (or only) places where it is legal to lane split. We better be careful or someone in Sacramento will try to introduce a law to prohibit it. I see lane splitting as a necessity, crawling along in stop and go traffic with the cagers burns up your clutch and overheats the engine. One of the reasons we ride motorcycles is to be able to do things cagers can't do. Lane splitting saves gas, saves time, saves your bike and helps the environment. Not being able to lane split will be the end motorcycling for me.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Yep, we are one of (if not the ) only states that allows "lane splitting".

Is anyone aware of ANY other state that permits "lane splitting""?

The Democrats control the Gov. & the Leg. No telling what might happen!!! (No pun intended. The truth is the truth.)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yo Upfly some of us feel that a Bucket Law like y'all have would end it too but it won't.

If ya gotta have it, you will NEVER give it up.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
pasadenajim said:

The Democrats control the Gov. & the Leg. No telling what might happen!!! (No pun intended. The truth is the truth.)

Yep the truth is simply that.

For me, I don't look it it like the Republicans or The Democrats control anything. I simply lament the fact that THE PEOPLE don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more example of "only in California". Motorcyclists are able to use car-pool lanes, aka "high occupancy vehicle" lanes at any time as well as cross toll bridges for free during commute periods.
For those of you who live in areas where it is illegal to lane split, how does a cop car pull you over if he can't get to you?
I agree with the helmet law comments, it should be the riders choice.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Actually, I didn't think California "legally permitted" lane splitting. Rather, there is no law against 2 vehicles sharinng the same lane, if safe, blablablabla. Not sure it matters other than I have been told a police officer can write you for this pretty easily if the want to (i.e. you being an AH).

I was told this several time in the several times I've been to traffic school (lol). I agree with your suggestions, Upflying, I also split lanes but have always thought it was pretty dangerous relative to other things I do on a motorcycle. Maybe thats why we have a helmet law? (jj).

·
Registered
428 Posts
<<One more example of "only in California". Motorcyclists are able to use car-pool lanes, aka "high occupancy vehicle" lanes at any time >>

I've seen other places that allow mtorcycles to use HOV / high occupancy vehicle lanes. DC area is one of them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's helpful tp realize this is illegal anywhere else. No wonder everyone looked so pissed off at me in nevada and arizona (i thought they were just jealous lol). Oh well.....f em!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I read in 1 of those Laconia ad books put out by some law office that are all over place when yer there that, it was legal to lane split in all states. Lane splitting with another bike only. But I have been pulled over and given a warning for that very thing in CT.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Think maybe we're talking about two different things here...

In Nevada (traffic laws vary greatly from state to state. I only know Nevada laws, most likely different in other states) it's illegal to drive your bike down the dotted line between cars in order to pass them. This is what I've always called "lane splitting'.

It is legal for two bikes to share the same travel lane. As long as both riders agree to it... (lane sharing)

Last I heard, it's legal to "lane split" only in California...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
WOW. I got to get out there. Does that mean if some assholee in a cage doesn't like me lane splitting and decides to move to the dotted line when I'm there that it's considered a threat to me and I can eliminate it. Cool.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
upflying said:
One more example of "only in California". Motorcyclists are able to use car-pool lanes, aka "high occupancy vehicle" lanes at any time
Georgia allows this also.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts