V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the only state where lane splitting or lane filtering as some call it is California. More states are considering making the practice legal. Myself, I've doing it for 50 some years in several states when the air cooled engine needed a breeze, never knew it was illegal. All in favor??? Opposed???

·
Registered
958 Posts
I don't lane split but I will get in the breakdown lane or road shoulder to keep moving if traffic is stopped. I know its not legal but I figure the cops are too busy working whatever is causing the delay and don't worry about a scooter breaking in line.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I tend to avoid riding thru congestive areas as much as possible it's not relaxing head clearing,

Things have changed and so I'm more cautions than I was young.To many people in my circle are counting on me to be around.

I don't risk any more than I need to on a scoot.

Then again, I also have a rule I don't ride at night. It don't mean I will never do it but I don't favor that either, but up front I tell anyone I ride with my rule..Yea been called a pu$$y for that one lol

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Our traffic jams consist of 10 cars at the traffic light. NC State Police take a dim view of those riding the breakdown lane .

Sent from my couch in NC

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I am all for lane splitting and filtering. When done correctly they save lives. When it is illegal, the crazies give it a bad name.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
I don't lane split but I will get in the breakdown lane or road shoulder to keep moving if traffic is stopped. I know its not legal but I figure the cops are too busy working whatever is causing the delay and don't worry about a scooter breaking in line.
I admit to doing this myself when I'm commuting on the highway during the summer. The big rigs seem to kill half a dozen people a year on the road I travel due to crashing into stopped traffic. I'm not going to have that happen to me if I can avoid it. I may end up with a ticket someday. When that day comes I'll pay up. I know it's not legal.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I can't remember the last time I was in a traffic jam. When I was young (in Boston) I used to lane split and some drivers look at it as some sort of personal assault and respond by opening doors or trying to hit you with their vehicles. All this before cell phones could report plate numbers or take pictures. The breakdown lane riding really pissed off the cops while lane splitting seemed to be tolerated. Might be different now.

Weinerdogbone - by that reasoning you should try to safely roll through all stop lights/signs too.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Around here stop signs are yield signs as I can see a quarter mile up the road that no one is coming. No stop light cameras so look both ways when getting a green light.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
It all depends on the "type" of cop that pulls you over...
If he is a regular guy with some "years of being a cop" , you might be OK
If its the cop who was the poosy in High School that got picked on ( bullied ) you will be in trouble....
My experience with the "2nd type" is it is payback time for all.... He is da man wid da gun...
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of smart laws here in California. Lane splitting is a God-send. ...but it needs to be done safely. 25MPH is all I will do...after that, I fall back in line. I also do it to avoid being rear-ended on the bike with all the brain-dead cell users out there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of smart laws here in California. Lane splitting is a God-send. ...but it needs to be done safely. 25MPH is all I will do...after that, I fall back in line. I also do it to avoid being rear-ended on the bike with all the brain-dead cell users out there.
Amen brother!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts