V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was coaught in the rain outside of West Chester Pennsylvania. I pulled over for about 15 minutes to let the worst of the oil wash off of the road. When decided to continue on my trip everything was pretty uneventful until I noticed a guy riding my bumper as I was headed into a sweeping right turn. I slowed the bike down gently but the road was just too slick. I felt the back wheel slide and gently let off the brakes. All attempts to get the bike to recover were futile. As I was approaching the guardrail I made the decision that it was just safer to lay her down.
I hit the asphalt pretty hard but had managed to get my speed down to about 20-25 mph. I landed on my left hip/ lower back. I had teh wind knocked out of me. At first I wasn't going to try to get up but I just couldn't lay there in the dark road. The guy that was riding my ass into the turn didn't even stop, he just kept going. A passerby called 911 and the state police arrived. They were totally cool and actually let me ride the scratched up glide home.
When I got home I realized that I was in alot of pain. I went to the ER where an x-ray revealed afew broken ribs.
Thankyou harley for building such a sturdy machine. I am convinced that if I did not have the engine guard and saddle bag guards that came stock I would have been much more injured.
I hope everyone stayed safe and keep the sticky side down.
Scott Gallagher

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Good to hear that everything turned out for the best in a bad situation!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Seen this this morning, UK time, You just posted I think?

You want to make sure those ribs 'are' only cracked/broken?
The last time I thought I'd a cracked rib, it punchered my lung.
Not being alarmist here, but from going from a sore chest, to o fuk, I can't breath!!! :eek:

Sorry, just trying to get across the point that next day or so the injuries come to the surface???

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Scott, good thing you're not too banged up. Time will heal the pain and money will fix the bike. Good luck. Stay safe.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Glad all with the body is OK Scott, Keep the chin up you'll be back.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Scott, glad your not more seriously hurt. I can tell you first hand from a similar situation in July, don't sneeze. You wouldn't believe how many bodily functions are connected to your ribs. Mine still hurt almost three months later. Ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. The people on this board are really great and genuine folks. Nice to know such people still exist in 2002!
Ribs are not hurting quite as much as they did on Thursday night but the bruise on my lower back is continuing to grow. IT is about 9" by 5" and deep purple.
My electraglide will be out of commission for about 6 weeks but my v-rod gets back from the paint shop in 3 weeks!
Thanks againfor the kind words.
Scott Gallagher

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scott, as all have said, glad you came through this as well as you did. The tailgater put you in a position where he was a threat to your life. Close behind you, in the rain, if you hadn't slid off the road do you think he'd be able to stop? Surprised that he didn't?

I'll include a link to some great riding techniques for others to help learn from this. Even for seasoned riders, there's a lot of useful information here.

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

·
Registered
659 Posts
Scott - just adding my best wishes - keep the ride going!
BigG

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Glad you are ok !

I am interested in how you ended up hitting your left hip laying it down in a sweeping right turn?

You weren't riding backwards in the rain again were you? You promised to stop doing that.

Bla Haha

Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually Jimmy,
As I came off the bike I began a roll before I hit the ground. I wanted to make sure I had all of my limbs clear of the bike so when I hit nothing would be pinned. As the bike reached the pint of no return I started to roll my body toward the rear of the bike landing on my left side.

I gave up riding backwards years ago after growing tired of how the tank chafes.
--Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts