V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Here's another welcome to the H/D Forum. Good suggestion from
Dean! In years past, many riders complained about the effort necessary to utilize the clutch. The stock clutch mechanism has been adjusted to require less effort. There are aftermarket products, like the one suggested, that will further lessen the effort. Another idea may be to simply adjust the position of the clutch and brake levers on the handlebars. Such an adjustment may permit you to use less effort.

Harleys are made to be ridden. Good luck.

· Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Good man, that husband.;)

If all the the usual have been tried, you may want to try some hand-strength exercises. I'm not trying to be cute, just practical. I recall when my girl Leece change from a metric product to a Sportster, she complained about the effort necessary to use the clutch. As she became more experienced (and her arm strength increased), she no longer complained. I asked her about the "clutch effort" before I started this post. She commented that she'd become comfortable with the feel of the clutch. IMHO, she increased her hand/arm strength by USING the clutch regularly. Thus, actually riding your bike will make the process easier over time. (Recommendation: avoid riding when you are tired. Good recommendation any time but particularlyl important when you're learning.) In the mean time, maybe you could try the hand excercise thing as a quick fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.