V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '98 883 Sportster and just got my license. Got a problem. I'm 5'3" with a size 6 glove & my hands are not strong enough and fingers not long enough to comfortably pull a standard clutch lever. This gorgous bike is burning a hole in my pocket, because I don't dare ride it.

Any suggestions? Once saw a clutch lever in an old catalog that had some special type cam action that became easier to pull the further you pulled it. Can't find anything similar now. Have seached the HD and Custom Chrome catalogs...no success.

Saw line item in HD catalog for a short-throw clutch lever for earlier model Sportsters. Nothing for late models.

:confused:

Please help.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Here's another welcome to the H/D Forum. Good suggestion from
Dean! In years past, many riders complained about the effort necessary to utilize the clutch. The stock clutch mechanism has been adjusted to require less effort. There are aftermarket products, like the one suggested, that will further lessen the effort. Another idea may be to simply adjust the position of the clutch and brake levers on the handlebars. Such an adjustment may permit you to use less effort.

Harleys are made to be ridden. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reply. Actually, my husband had done all of that. I just don't have the strength. I've already ordered the EZ Clutch that Dean suggested. I'm very excited. Hoping it arrives in time to ride next weekend.

Hope you're riding today.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Good man, that husband.;)

If all the the usual have been tried, you may want to try some hand-strength exercises. I'm not trying to be cute, just practical. I recall when my girl Leece change from a metric product to a Sportster, she complained about the effort necessary to use the clutch. As she became more experienced (and her arm strength increased), she no longer complained. I asked her about the "clutch effort" before I started this post. She commented that she'd become comfortable with the feel of the clutch. IMHO, she increased her hand/arm strength by USING the clutch regularly. Thus, actually riding your bike will make the process easier over time. (Recommendation: avoid riding when you are tired. Good recommendation any time but particularlyl important when you're learning.) In the mean time, maybe you could try the hand excercise thing as a quick fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
following your advise also

Thanks. I had already bought some squeezable grips to build the strength before Dean came up with the EZClutch. And I agree that using the clutch will help develop that strength. My concern was, I couldn't even get started without great, concentrated effort. And I didn't want to scare myself. So I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my "fix."

I love this website.

TORQUED
you knew me first as pollitt...but i decided to go incognito ;)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: following your advise also

TORQUED said:

I love this website.

TORQUED
you knew me first as pollitt...but i decided to go incognito ;)
Little sister, you just paid us all a compliment. I can be kind of a jackass sometimes ok usually but my heart has busted watching all of these fine people helping each other out.

Make sure you keep us informed on the progress and go tell your ole man he is a lucky guy. SO SAYS THE HARLEY DAVIDSON FORUM! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SUCCESS...I'm TORQUED TIGHT

Hey...it worked. EZ Clutch by AMP. Dean will never know how much I appreciate his quick and "right on" suggestion. I rode today gals & guys...in a small, flat pasture on our property...but I rode...MY Harley. (Already told the story in another thread, but had to tell those of you who were nice enough to offer all the help the very first time I posted.)

My second ride this afternoon was not as smooth. In the morning, I didn't wear my gloves...so I had much better feel on the throttle. This afternoon I wore gloves and was herky-jerky. But I'll get it. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. All those tomorrows. Don't mind me. I'm just still happier than .... :D

Good night, All.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts