V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone suggest an easy and cheap way to keep spokes from going rusty and black.i have spent three days after removing the wheels scrubbing and polishing the absolute crap out of them,only to find a week later starting to rust up again.(cant afford chrome spokes)
regards Greg

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
get a lil can of mothers polish. just make sure you get the right kind for whatever metal spokes you have. been there done that. it takes friggin forever and a day. get a "strip" of terry cloth wrap it around the spoke, put some polish on er and wisk away! you will need to continually change cloth as it will get black and filthy fast.
DO NOT USE eagle wire wheel or any other wire wheel cleaners that contain muratic acid as it will turn the spokes black. and then you have to clean some more.

got a pic you can post so i might better assist?

almost forgot, got any pool chemicals or bleach close by. this will cause corrosion all over the bike.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Dumb question here, but is your bike in a garage where there is a clothes dryer? the humidity from a dryer will rust spokes and the inside of a rim,under the tire! keep motorcycle away from dryer and cover up! this may help! found out the hard way on the shovelhead years ago! good luck.....geno

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I've got 86,000 on my stock spokes and gave up on trying to keep them looking decent... somewhere around 20,000 miles...LOL. Next tire change I'm going powdercoated rims and hubs with polished stainless spokes. Cost's a few $$$ but what the hell.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I'm slightly confused here....we talking about lace wheels or laced wheels? I figure there's a significant difference. :D

T113

1 - 10 of 10 Posts