V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me how long (hours) a shop should charge for labor to replace chain driven stock cams with geared cams. Bike is a 2004 FLHTCI. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
My guy charges 2.5 hours, I believe he is the exception though. Alot will depend on the pipes too, Some are a bitch to get off and on, mine go off or on in about ten minutes. Some pipes can take an hour or more to R&R

OBTW, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pipes are V&H Ovals (slip ons). Thanks for the info and the welcome to the board. Been lurking for a while and love the info I pick up.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The dealer here told me 6 hours for cams on a Dyna. They tend to be high, though. They charged me 12 hours for a 95" install with cams and ignition. Others reported being hit for 10 hours.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
My wrench charged me 6 hours for 95" and cams and clutch spring which includes removing the primary....
Like I said, he is the exception, He charges how long it takes.......

·
Registered
278 Posts
I checked two HD dealerships--- one was 6-8 hrs and the other was 2.5 hours so I decided to do it myself. Took me 4.5 hours...and it was my first time with home made tools! The 2.5 hours sounds about right. As previuosly stated, exhaust headers ( not your V&H Ovals mufflers) are a time variable but not more than an additional 30 minutes.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Dunno, clicked through Harley Hogs website in 20 minutes, 10 minutes the second time. Looks easy;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts