V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The taillights used on all the H-Ds, except the V-Rod, Deuce, and Tombstone lamped bikes, since late '03... you know, the lights with the "updated" wedge base bulb that was falling out for a while.

I just had one, with a bulb in it, sitting on the bench, brake light on, for about 15 minutes... the center of the lens melted and deformed! It was soft enough that I poked a pick tool right through it with minimal effort.

Now, before you say "who the hell sits with their brakes on for 15 minutes?", what happens when your brake light switch fouls up and your brake lights are on the whole day, without you knowing?

Look at the dimple in the center of the light... it should be very round, at least that's how they start out. That round dimple will turn oblong as the lens deforms.

I looked through a pile of used lights I have and noticed that many of them have an oval dimple and a few were quite noticably deformed... the center of the lens will flatten out/sag inward.

This is the same light that if left in front of a heater, will usually crack.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear if anyone else has noticed this.

BTW, the lights are made in Canada :D

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Brake light bulbs and lenses are not designed for continuous duty, sure it will melt after 15 minuets. I'm sure you sell a great product but subjecting an OEM part to an unrealistic test does not make good marketing strategy.
On this forum you would get more sales if you claim your LED's increase horsepower by 10% :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
csoday said:
Brake light bulbs and lenses are not designed for continuous duty, sure it will melt after 15 minuets. I'm sure you sell a great product but subjecting an OEM part to an unrealistic test does not make good marketing strategy.
On this forum you would get more sales if you claim your LED's increase horsepower by 10% :D
actually, I was heating up the lens to make it easier to get apart... didn't feel like standing there with the heat gun... just forgot about it for about 10 minutes :D

still though, I've seen taillights survive 15-20 minutes with the brake light on.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Buddy of mine replaced his tail light with a halogen bulb. Worked good for about three months....On our way to Easy Rider Rodeo in Fowlerville, MI. this thing melts and fuses his socket, wiring and lens.....I tried telling him it was throwing off too much heat.....Super bright tho.....(but that's irrelevant now).

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I agree that the amount of time is not in anyway similar to normal riding, but at the same time I do think that the plastic melting with the bulb on is not good. If the lights we use in our home melted like that there would be issues.

Personally, I have not ran a stock tailight in a long time though. I changed out to a Kuryakyn Panacea with the integrated blinkers. I did that so I could remove the blinkers off the struts on my Fatboy. I like how the back looks now with the lights out of the way.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
csoday said:

I agree, it's an issue of duty cycle. The stock lamps would never melt the cover with only the tail light on and the brake lights are seldom on for more than a minute.

I like LED's myself. I use them in electronics where appropriate. They even use them in street and highway stop lights now. They are very visible. The only problem with them is that they are extremely directional which is not an issue for stop lights on the road.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
10% more HP with the LED's?? Can I get two and bump my HP up by 20%? The heck with adding cams now!! :265: :265: :265:

How many to get 100 lb/ft of torque? %[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts