V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a side-mount license plate for a while. They all seem pretty expensive, Kuryakyn has the best price. Anyone have any input on the quality of their stuff? Also saw a flush-mount gas cap that I like the looks of.

Thanks, Jim

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
Alot of guys dont like Kuryakyn, although I think some of their items are good and have had good experiences with those products, namely the flush mount fuel gauge and gas cap. Have only had them on a few months but really nice look IMO. I also like the hypercharger look and am happy with its performance.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I second bigjailerman about it does seem like a lot of guys don't like their stuff. All I can say is I put three sets of their pegs on one of our bikes in 2000 up in Sturgis. That bike has run on gravel roads, in the mud, in all kinds of junk. As of now, there's some light rust inside the hex bolt heads that hold the passenger pegs on (not the stock bolts, my wife is so tall we had to use some extenders, also from Kuryakyn).
All the pegs have the rubber inserts, they look fine. Chrome hasn't rusted or flaked off.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
I like the design of their products...however the chrome finishing on much of it seems succeptable to scratches. I bought an inner primary cover for my Fatboy...then two for my RoadKing. All three have eventually scratched due to SOMETHING rubbing it, but my HD parts seem to hold onto the shine and are pretty much scratch free. Ex:..the bike is a little dusty...so you take some spray shine and just wipe down the bike. Tanks will show some minor swirls in the paint due to this quick process, which I can correct at wax time. The chrome however on a Kuryakyn part will get minor surface scratches in it cuz' of the grit, where the HD part seems to resist those scratches. I know that I shouldn't rub on a dusty bike and that I should wash it first..but there are those times when you just gotta give it a little sparkle before you go cruising and you don't have the time to give it a bath.

As long as you don't mind replacing the parts you scratch up...then go for the Kuryakyn. Or just be careful and give those parts special attention and don't cut corners in washing and cleaning the bike. You are looking for a side license plate holder...so I don't think a lot can really go wrong with that part!

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
You are right about the chrome products of other than HD in general in a lot of instances - why is that? Is the chrome "softer"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
bigjailerman said:
You are right about the chrome products of other than HD in general in a lot of instances - why is that? Is the chrome "softer"?
I don't know about softer, but it's definitely thinner. I've seen Kuryakyn stuff with chrome so thin you could see the copper thru it. Word to the wise - never clamp a chrome Kuryakyn piece in a vise with steel jaws. It bruises the chrome every time.

-- kerry --

1 - 6 of 6 Posts