V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a "wild things feul injection controller-9216 " in my 05 twin cam today and followed the instructions.I adjusted the trim pots according to what the literature stated and the bike runs "ok" nothing monumental nor did I expect a great increase in power.....in fact it doesnt run any better than it did before.
I must tell you that the bike only has a little over 800 miles on it....I put on s/e slip ons and air cleaner and it had the occasional pop and hiccup.My Question is this: since I didnt have time to really fiddle around with the intermediate and high speed settings(trim pots) should I realistically expect more power in the mid to upper RPM range?.....incidentally she only popped a few times on the 10 mile ride home from my friends where I put the unit in.
Does anyone else have any experience with this (dobeck performance unit) particular unit?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have one on my 04 flhtci, I also have the SE intake and V&H ovals with stock headpipes. If you are popping it is still lean. Mine is set a little rich at idle but it did pick up some performance up top, Never pops. Fuel mileage crashed though. Bike runs about 40deg cooler with that set up, a cooler and syn in all 3 holes. (mobile1) I primarily did this for heat control and not performance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
BIBS said:
I put a "wild things feul injection controller-9216 " in my 05 twin cam today and followed the instructions.I adjusted the trim pots according to what the literature stated and the bike runs "ok" nothing monumental nor did I expect a great increase in power.....in fact it doesnt run any better than it did before.
I must tell you that the bike only has a little over 800 miles on it....I put on s/e slip ons and air cleaner and it had the occasional pop and hiccup.My Question is this: since I didnt have time to really fiddle around with the intermediate and high speed settings(trim pots) should I realistically expect more power in the mid to upper RPM range?.....incidentally she only popped a few times on the 10 mile ride home from my friends where I put the unit in.
Does anyone else have any experience with this (dobeck performance unit) particular unit?
Bibs,

as a dyno owner and PC dealer I am biased but, in my openion all units that operate with pots are a bad choice..... why.....all harleys come to us very lean at o%to 60% throttle for emission reasons and rich at 80%to 100% to protect the motor from going lean at WOT and burning a piston when we change parts and do not remap or rejet.
The pot type system adds fuel at all throttle positions...so to get it right at 40% throttle you make it extra rich at 100%...:duh?: not good.
I like PC USB good unit at $360 list ..and easy to dial in , many people like the SERT unit, it works well but it takes 2-3 times as long to map on dyno ...I have removed 20to30 of the pot type units ...your choice

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Guy :cheers:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya steve.....what is PC USB? I know less than nada' about feul injection and if I thought I could go with carbeuration I,d do it in a heartbeat!!! I have this unit now and money (at this point in time) doesnt allow me the luxury of going back and forth with other units.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Power Comander

Bibs,

If you cant take it back..........try 2 or 3 on low speed pot (0-2000 rpm) 1or 2 on mid range pot (2000-4000 rpm ) top end usually is ok with just a/f and slip on mufflers .........some units have acell pump feature add 2-3....
this is a SHOTGUN aproach to a job that neads sniper rifle:whisper:
Go to power comander web site and look at a map ...you will see how many cells there are to adjust, on a dyo 30-45 min and instant 5-10% increase in pwr :thumbsup:

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve thanks again for the insight/info. I wish I,d have bought a thunder max unit.....now I,m out of funds to get one and spent over 200 on the wild thang from dobeck performance.I spoke to zippers BEFORE I went with what I know have.....my bad!!!I dont know what to do at this point except stay with what I have!! the bike runs good with it....'bout the same as before the install hahahaha!!! There is no one in my area that has a dyno that could dyno my bike in that I know of.:blink: I have lots of parts I,m going to try selling on e-bay to raise money to put into my new twin cam.
I have lots more questions that I want to post on this forum about reccomendations for performance,etc.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My second one just craped out again. Im going to the PCIII and gonna load a canned map until I can get it built.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bibs, I do like thr Zippers Thundermax, I ordered one on Wednesday with
a Zippers installed map. Steve the dyno guy, have you ever tuned one?
I looked at the software for this item, and I like it a lot. Can be tuned live,
adjustments for idel speed, rev limet, ign.timing and much more. No need to
have any appendage hanging off the stock ECU. Can't wait to try it out but,
the roads where I live are covered with salt and snow right now. :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mister A said:
Bibs, I do like thr Zippers Thundermax, I ordered one on Wednesday with
a Zippers installed map. Steve the dyno guy, have you ever tuned one?
I looked at the software for this item, and I like it a lot. Can be tuned live,
adjustments for idel speed, rev limet, ign.timing and much more. No need to
have any appendage hanging off the stock ECU. Can't wait to try it out but,
the roads where I live are covered with salt and snow right now. :thumbsdn:
No I have not worked one , but from what you said it sounds interesting...
does it adj like SERT but can be worked with motor running ?????? if so :banana:
Good Luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve, yes the Thundermax can be tuned with the motor running on a dyno.
I have never worked with SERT so I can't compare the two. Go to Zippers
preformance.com "downloads' and check out the instruction manual for
the Thundermax and let me know what you think. I would like the opinion
of a pro. tuner. Thanks

·
Banned
313 Posts
Steve Handy said:
Bibs,

as a dyno owner and PC dealer I am biased but, in my openion all units that operate with pots are a bad choice..... why.....all harleys come to us very lean at o%to 60% throttle for emission reasons and rich at 80%to 100% to protect the motor from going lean at WOT and burning a piston when we change parts and do not remap or rejet.
The pot type system adds fuel at all throttle positions...so to get it right at 40% throttle you make it extra rich at 100%...:duh?: not good.
Steve

While I agree the pot type units are not the answer for everyone they do work well for the basic muffler and Air filter up grades. The HD unit allows the fuel to be added or removed on the new unit in three seperate RPM ranges. Plus a seperate accelerator pump adjustment. The bikes are lean in the emissions range which is typically light to mid throttle and mid to low rpm. Since most pipe and A/C kits cause the bike to run leaner than stock they will work quite well. So by setting the switch point via RPM you can quickly adjust the unit to work very well in these applications.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fellas the dobeck performance unit that I put in works quite well now!!! I had it adjusted wrong and the throttle response is better whereas before,after having just putting it on I was dissapointed with the performance mainly because I didnt have the trim pots adjusted according to the literature that came with the unit......incidentally I have model 9216#.:wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts