V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 'Kruzer Kaddy' on Heywood ('05 XLC 1200) which I find indispensable on hot summer daze and on cool mornings for carrying coffee.
I just got my 'Kustom Kaddy' for T. Baggger ('03 Ultra) which mounts on switch housing using the two torx screws. They give nice new chrome screws with the kit and it took about 2 minutes to mount. Nice chrome hardware and I got the leather wrapped cozy. I couldn't use just the 'kruzer kaddy' cuz my GPS mount takes up too much room on the clutch side. I mounted it on the brake side. It's also good for those who have oversized handlebars.

http://www.kruzerkaddy.net/newstory01.html

I've posted this before but these Thermos brand travel tumblers are the catz azz for using with the Kruzer Kaddies. Fits right in using the 'thin' sleeve. No rattles or drips or condensation dripping on yer tank. 360* drink lid so no searching for the opening on the lid. Big opening for dropping in ice cubes and coffee stays warm for about an hour at 80 mph and 60* ambient temps. Plus it just looks good. Especially with the leather wrapped cozy~!Awesome!
$15 us dollars from Target

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1194629366/ref=gp_se_search-results-asin-redirect/601-1629641-6716968?ie=UTF8&asin=B000FOMQ4O

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I've got a 'Kruzer Kaddy' on Heywood ('05 XLC 1200) which I find indispensable on hot summer daze and on cool mornings for carrying coffee.
I just got my 'Kustom Kaddy' for T. Baggger ('03 Ultra) which mounts on switch housing using the two torx screws. They give nice new chrome screws with the kit and it took about 2 minutes to mount. Nice chrome hardware and I got the leather wrapped cozy. I couldn't use just the 'kruzer kaddy' cuz my GPS mount takes up too much room on the clutch side. I mounted it on the brake side. It's also good for those who have oversized handlebars.

http://www.kruzerkaddy.net/newstory01.html

QUOTE]

I've got the KruzzerKaddy, and my complaint is that if the cup is top heavy, that after about 30 mph, the holder rotates and pours my coffee on my tank and pant legs.. There should be a way to clamp down on the swivel so the the holder can be stabilized..:hmmm:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE]

I've got the KruzzerKaddy, and my complaint is that if the cup is top heavy, that after about 30 mph, the holder rotates and pours my coffee on my tank and pant legs.. There should be a way to clamp down on the swivel so the the holder can be stabilized..:hmmm:[/QUOTE]

That's one reason I posted this cup cuz I was having the same problem. Also the lid on the tumbler closes. I leave my tumbler in the Kaddy at all times and no accidents yet. Also no condensation problem on hot daze.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1194629366/ref=gp_se_search-results-asin-redirect/601-1629641-6716968?ie=UTF8&asin=B000FOMQ4O
Alltho the top of the cup is bigger than the kaddy, it doesn't protrude enough to tip the thang over. The bottom of the tumbler is rubberized and with the thin sleeve in the Kaddy, there's a little resistance, so the kaddy can be tipped each way drastically and the cup stays in place.

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
Krayven..

Thanks for your reply and details related the tHERMOS/TARGET cup. I'm off work this week (Thanksgiving) so I'll definitely have time to go to Target and get the cup that you recommend.

I do indeed have the oversize 1.5 inch Carlini handlebars, so I'm kind of stuck with the KruzzerCaddy option. Too bad that in stock form and for most cups, the damn things spills over everything. I'm reluctant to invest even a nickel more in the KruzzerCaddy piece of CaCa. But, I'll take your advice and give this KuzzerCaddy peice of Sh.t one more opportunity to be worthwhile?

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
ChromeWelder said:
I've got the KruzzerKaddy, and my complaint is that if the cup is top heavy, that after about 30 mph, the holder rotates and pours my coffee on my tank and pant legs.. There should be a way to clamp down on the swivel so the the holder can be stabilized..:hmmm:
I had the same complaint. Went to Lowes with the mount clamp and bought a long bolt that threads into the holder clamp. Added a couple of lock washers and flat washers and tightened everything up with a nylox nut on the end. No more pivot and I haven't spilled a drop or had to nudge the cup back upright since.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
RMC_SS_LDO said:
I had the same complaint. Went to Lowes with the mount clamp and bought a long bolt that threads into the holder clamp. Added a couple of lock washers and flat washers and tightened everything up with a nylox nut on the end. No more pivot and I haven't spilled a drop or had to nudge the cup back upright since.
Thank You, off to Lowes in the morning:cheers:

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Quick notes to the "mod" I did to my holder-

1. I opted to drill out the top of the "key hole" on the side of the holder where the bolt goes thru. This allows the holder to sit in the same position (lower down) as the original pivot style post.

2. When assembling it, DONT TIGHTEN IT ALL UP UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO MOUNT IT except for the 1st nut you install:
- I took the long bolt (I think I bought a 4" bolt then trimmed it) and put a flat washer on.
- Slide the bolt thru the cup holder from the inside-out.
- Run a lock nut (not nylox, the kind that is flared on one side) down until it is snug against the outside of the cup holder (you will want to torque it some to bend the washer on the inside of the holder so it forms to the curve of the holder.
- Run a regular nut down, leaving about 1/8" gap from the previous lock nut.
- Put a lock washer on.
- Thread the bolt into the original mount bracket and run it all the way thru until at least 1/2" of threads are thru the back of the bracket.
- Run a nylox nut on the end to lock it in place.

Now that all of the pieces-parts are together, make sure the 1st nut you put on (the lock nut) is tight to keep the cup holder from spinning on the bolt (and again, to bend the lock washer on the inside of the cup holder).

Set the assembly on the bar wherever you want it and set the angle how you like. Tighten up the 2nd nut that butts up against the lock washer.

Last, tighten the nylox nut on the end to lock the bolt down and to keep it from backing out. I also took a Dremel and cut off the excess bolt that stuck out past the end of the nylox. Not important, but it bugged me.

I had a clearance issue since the head of the bolt is inside of the cup holder- the bolt head rubbed and scratched the cup. I took a Dremel and ground it down but you may be able to get a thinner one or even a round-head bolt (not sure how you'd tighten things up though).

Sorry the pics are so crappy; low light and my camera freaked out from the chrome.....

Attachments

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Well, I guess they wern't quick notes....

Safety tip- when you get it mounted where you like it, rotate your bars into the locks both directions to be sure it does not hit your tank, console or anything else for that matter!!

Hope that helped. If anyone wants some better pics I'll get some in the day light tomorrow.

End of the day it works great and is how it should have been to start with. The pivoting thing as originally designed is a novelty and serves no functional purpose IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I am always reluctant to have something metal with any heft to it hanging over my tank. I have seen more then one damaged tank from this and that hanging off the bars. My buddy used to ride toll roads and had one of those coin thingys come lose. Only one bolt fell out and it was the bolt that put that nice chip in his custom paint. Thay Kruzer Caddy is much heavier???

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
rickr01 said:
I am always reluctant to have something metal with any heft to it hanging over my tank. I have seen more then one damaged tank from this and that hanging off the bars. My buddy used to ride toll roads and had one of those coin thingys come lose. Only one bolt fell out and it was the bolt that put that nice chip in his custom paint. Thay Kruzer Caddy is much heavier???

especially when it is filled with Starbucks, super smooth and sweet double mocha latte fizz. swissh, swish, swish

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Esterhaus said:
Whatever happened to just stopping, getting off the bike and going into the cafe for a cup of coffee?
Nothing.... I just like taking some hot coffee along with me too for the next couple hundred miles until I need gas again.

Hard to make miles and time if you are wasting daylight sitting in a cafe gabbing with a bunch of 'Wingers!

·
Registered
161 Posts
RMC_SS_LDO said:
Nothing.... I just like taking some hot coffee along with me too for the next couple hundred miles until I need gas again.

Hard to make miles and time if you are wasting daylight sitting in a cafe gabbing with a bunch of 'Wingers!

It's not about the destination....it's the gettin' there that's fun. If'n you are in that big a hurry, you should have left home earlier.

BTW, Tuesday nites are 25-cent wings!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Usually, I just carry ice water with me. There's nothing more refreshing on a hot, hot day than ice water to me. Used to just carry water in a bottle (using the Kruzer Kaddy) but I don't find warm water very refreshing and it dripped (condensation) everywhere. The medication I take daily makes me real thirsty and oxycodone and alcohol don't mix. My pal turned me on to this Thermos Tumbler, and it works well with the Kruzer Kaddy. The novel thing about it is the 360* drink lid. You open the lid with a slight twist, and drink from anywhere on the cup. Closes just as easily. I've got one of the HD pouches with the water bottle that rides right above the exhaust. Came home one hot day, pointed my laser thermometer at my water bottle and it was 112*f. (That's not refreshing) I swear I can taste oil and gas when drinking from that thang. Now I fill the water bottle w/water and the tumbler with ice and I'm good to go for most of the day. (Mmmmmmmmm, oil and gas). On the Sportster I carry extra liquid in the saddlebags until the tumbler needs to be refilled. The last tumbler I bought was on-line thru Target cuz the site said my store (Toiletto, OH) was out of stock. $5.00 delivery fee making the cost a little over $20. Took about a week to get the tumbler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts