V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of makings some mods to my Stock EVO air box to keep the oil air mist from producing excessive carbon inside my motor.

I run the stock air box drilled, with a K&N filter. I am running the Spyke Krank Vent, model SPK VBT , which attaches to the stock rubber breather tubes inside the airbox. I thought about running a couple of hoses out of the breather box at the bottom from each Krank Vent breather and making a tight small loop with a standard old style crank case beather filter at the bottom outside of the air cleaner. Hard to describe what I mean. I want to basically keep the oil mist out of the breather box. It's got to be a huge carbon builder, all that huffing being sucked into the carb? I can make it a nice and neat little package

Thoughts on the idea!

·
Registered
297 Posts
rickr01 said:
I am in the process of makings some mods to my Stock EVO air box to keep the oil air mist from producing excessive carbon inside my motor.

I run the stock air box drilled, with a K&N filter. I am running the Spyke Krank Vent, model SPK VBT , which attaches to the stock rubber breather tubes inside the airbox. I thought about running a couple of hoses out of the breather box at the bottom from each Krank Vent breather and making a tight small loop with a standard old style crank case beather filter at the bottom outside of the air cleaner. Hard to describe what I mean. I want to basically keep the oil mist out of the breather box. It's got to be a huge carbon builder, all that huffing being sucked into the carb? I can make it a nice and neat little package

Thoughts on the idea!
Sure, it will work. I usually run the hoses under the carb and up under the gas tank. One thing to think about, there really shouldn't be much oil coming out of the breather tubes, if there is you may be looking at some mechanical issues.....Bill

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nauipro said:
Sure, it will work. I usually run the hoses under the carb and up under the gas tank. One thing to think about, there really shouldn't be much oil coming out of the breather tubes, if there is you may be looking at some mechanical issues.....Bill

No Bill,

Not much at all, but during a hard run I get enough that I noticed a carbon build up on the valve stems and back sides when I changed the intake manifold! I want to keep out as much as possible.

·
Registered
297 Posts
rickr01 said:
No Bill,

Not much at all, but during a hard run I get enough that I noticed a carbon build up on the valve stems and back sides when I changed the intake manifold! I want to keep out as much as possible.
Those deposits will show up even if you have offboard breathing, but you are certainly better off not havind the crankcase fumes in the intake stream. EPA doesn't care for the idea much though......Bill
Regular use of Techron will keep the deposits to a minimum

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nauipro said:
Those deposits will show up even if you have offboard breathing, but you are certainly better off not havind the crankcase fumes in the intake stream. EPA doesn't care for the idea much though......Bill
Regular use of Techron will keep the deposits to a minimum

Ah Comon Bill, Chevron Gas in Vermont. We have Mobil, we have shell, and the rest of the Mom and Pops, your guess is as good as mine! At least there is some gas mixed with all that water and condensation! :hystria:

·
Registered
297 Posts
rickr01 said:
Ah Comon Bill, Chevron Gas in Vermont. We have Mobil, we have shell, and the rest of the Mom and Pops, your guess is as good as mine! At least there is some gas mixed with all that water and condensation! :hystria:
You can get Techron at auto parts stores. A couple of ounces at oil change time and you are good to go....Bill

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonnie john said:
i blamed my breather for carbon buildup on inlet valve stems, it was the factory stem seals. have you checked this?

Yep, changed many moons ago along with the factory base gaskets, factory rocker and cam cover gaskets, the Ina cam bearing, etc etc. Nope it a small amount of normalized carbon. Hadn't heard of the additive mentioned except in Chevron gas before however. Gas or oil additive? I won't use oil additives, but might consider a gas additive?

·
Registered
297 Posts
rickr01 said:
Yep, changed many moons ago along with the factory base gaskets, factory rocker and cam cover gaskets, the Ina cam bearing, etc etc. Nope it a small amount of normalized carbon. Hadn't heard of the additive mentioned except in Chevron gas before however. Gas or oil additive? I won't use oil additives, but might consider a gas additive?
Yep, it's a fuel injection cleaner. Techron is the full strength product, Pro-Guard is the diluted version. I was introduced to the stuff as a BMW tech many years ago, it solved all of the driveability problems when the 528e was introduced. Cleans valves, combustion chambers and piston tops....Bill

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nauipro said:
Yep, it's a fuel injection cleaner. Techron is the full strength product, Pro-Guard is the diluted version. I was introduced to the stuff as a BMW tech many years ago, it solved all of the driveability problems when the 528e was introduced. Cleans valves, combustion chambers and piston tops....Bill
Thanks Bill, i'll look into it!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
nauipro said:
You're quite welcome. If you have any problems finding it let me know, I can always send you a bottle......Bill

One final question should be asked I suppose, OK for carburated Bikes? I am not running fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
off subject, but bill I noticed your from Long Island, haven't seen many people here from home, I am in CI, do you have any shop recommendations?

·
Registered
297 Posts
rickr01 said:
One final question should be I asked I suppose, OK for carburated Bikes? I am not running fuel injection.
Sure, it's fine for all fuel delivery systems. No difference on the dyno either....Bill

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nauipro said:
You're quite welcome. If you have any problems finding it let me know, I can always send you a bottle......Bill

I'll give it a go next oil change> I'll see if Nappa here has it on the way home tonight!

Thanks Again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts