V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent two hrs last night searching and couldnt come up with the same problem so here goes:
About two weeks ago after a long day of riding started my bike (2010 EG Classic) after it was sitting for about 1 hr. there was a knocking noise coming from the primary. This is not a noise I thought I might have heard or a faint unfamiliar sound, it was an audible knock that could be heard by anyone thats not dead! Sounds as if the chain might be loose and rattling against the case, noise was audible in neutral with the clutch lever engaged (out) and when in gear as clutch is let out to engage, Rode about a mile to the overnight hotel and the next morning no noise all day long.
Since that time about 75 miles of local riding with no noise.
Last night after washing the bike took it for a ride. After a quick stop at the store as soon as I restarted knocking noise returned.
continued on the way home mostly at idle and releasing the clutch in first gear. Got up this morning called the dealership, made an appointment and wouldn't you know no noise on the ride up. (25 mi.)
Only similarity was before first episode we had ridden about 1 hr. in the rain and last night I had just washed the bike but I cant imagine the moisture having anything to do with knocking in the primary.
Any ideas?
CG

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left it at the dealership. I was hoping at least the noise would be there do diagnose but it was quiet as a mouse.
Thanks for responding. What few things might it be?
As you might figure, I'm not a mechanic but I've been riding for a long time and Im pretty dialed in to my bikes.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Intermittent knocking inside the primary, probably the nut holding compensating sprocket is loose. That's what I would check first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
couple of things it could be,

tensioner system- if the tensioner comes loose just a little bit it can cause the chain to slack enough for it to oscilate and sound like a knock.

comp nuts are pretty darn hard to come loose, if it was to come loose it would be tapping and rubbing on the cover, but even more important is to why it came loose since it requires an impact wrench to loosen.

there may be normal debris (caused by clutch use) in your case that is just large enough to cause your starter gear to not retract fully (getting inside the bushings and snagging things up a bit) and may be tapping the flywheel at certain rpms and clutch torques while riding.

these are all pretty simple fixes and are easy to do yourself with a manual and a few tools. the comp nut is probably the most difficult since you would need a good compressor, impact gun and a 1 1/2 impact socket and two torques wrenches (or one real nice torque wrench that covers the whole gammot)

harley no doubt will charge you a pretty hefty bill for labor and parts if needed including oil. if you were to do the stuff yourself (and if your primary oil is fine, you could reuse it) you would only be into it for your time and a new gasket and any parts if needed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"harley no doubt will charge you a pretty hefty bill for labor and parts if needed including oil. if you were to do the stuff yourself (and if your primary oil is fine, you could reuse it) you would only be into it for your time and a new gasket and any parts if needed."

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Hey Cub Guy,

If you're not comfortable being your own mechanic then your choice is to either trust the dealer or find a good indy in your area. You can do yourself a huge favor by purchasing a service manual for your bike.

I've been in and out of the primary chain cases many times on both of my bikes and with the proper tools it doesn't take long to diagnose the problem and fix it. If the dealer will do it under warranty then that's great, if not then you're going to be set back a few hundred bucks at least.

Also, if you're not familiar as to what's inside the chain case, then the dealer could tell you anything and you wouldn't know if it's the truth or not.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with my initial diagnosis of a loose compensator, it's a common problem. You can still ride the bike, but you will hear an intermittent low level clunking sound coming from the primary.

You do not need an impact tool to get it loose, nor is it recommended that you use an impact tool on your compensator nut.

As I said, you can do yourself a huge favor by purchasing a service manual for your bike and reading it. It will give you a much better idea as to what's involved when things go wrong.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cub Guy, you said that it only happened with water involved, rain and wash. Then gonefirefightin said something about debris in the starter. Maybe, just maybe, it might be water getting into the starter and causing it to try and engage. Just a crazy thought after I read gonefirefightins post.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You are one of the lucky owners to have a bad compensator.
My 09 UC with 22,000 miles is about to have its compensator replaced under warranty. The tensioner has been replaced once as well. I am on the 2nd warranty D408 front tire and one new wheelbearing.. Can ya feel the quality in the American made product??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Anyhow, I'm sticking with my initial diagnosis of a loose compensator, it's a common problem. You can still ride the bike, but you will hear an intermittent low level clunking sound coming from the primary."

Mike,
You're smarter than a tree full of owls!
Loose compensator it was. Just talked to the shop. I didn't get into the warranty thing over the phone but I will post tomorrow how that came out after I pick it up.
Thanks for all of the response.
Corky

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
FYI, all that really needs to be done is to clean the threads of the nut and shaft, put on a little Loctite primer followed by two drops of red Loctite and properly torque the nut.

Let it cure overnight, reassemble and you're good!

Glad to help, hope you're back on the road soon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to report, picked up the bike this morning and it was covered under warranty. Didn't even have to ask!
Tilley H-D Statesville and Salsbury NC
Taking great care of me for over 20 years.
Thanks to all for input.
Corky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will a loose compensator cause any immediate damage ? I’d like to wait till fall to try my hand at my first primary cover removal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I have the same compensator issue. For some reason I can’t find a compensator for an ‘05 sportster any where I look on line. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
sportsters dont have compensators,, probably why you can't find one...
check the chain adjustment,, if that is good,,, I've seen the front sprocket nut come loose on sporty's when this occurs the splines sometimes get worn..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts