V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting much longer that I should have, I got my right knee replaced today. Doc says the surgery went well. The pain blocks haven't worn off yet so I feel pretty good other than being woozy from the anesthesia. Recovery should be a blast. ^rolleyez^

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had a Stryker Active knee put in Sept 2016, I am very pleased with the result but it took about 18 months for it to go to the back of my mind. I will recommend that you follow the Drs instructions to the letter, commit to your therapy, and diligently guard against any infections. Two of my coworkers did not and one is on his third knee because of infections, and the other had blood clots, a couple heart attacks and then died. all preventable.
Good luck, and a speedy recovery.

Love your enemies, it will make them crazy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
How long were you off your bike buffaloguy? How long will you be off yours Uncle Salty?
Dealing with my orthopedist now!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I started riding again the following April, just around town at first. by May and June I was doing 100 to 125 mile trips a couple time a week. I considered it an important part of my rehab. That is where commiting to the therapy paid off.
By the way I was 69 at the time.

Love your enemies, it will make them crazy.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,319 Posts
After waiting much longer that I should have, I got my right knee replaced today. Doc says the surgery went well. The pain blocks haven't worn off yet so I feel pretty good other than being woozy from the anesthesia. Recovery should be a blast. ^rolleyez^
I can't believe you're able to post today. It was days for me.

I'm glad you're good though. Have mama get you some stool softener and take it with your narcotics.

joe

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Hope you have a fast recovery and get right on the physical therapy.. makes all the difference..

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long were you off your bike buffaloguy? How long will you be off yours Uncle Salty?
Dealing with my orthopedist now!
No idea, I'll just play along and see.

I can't believe you're able to post today. It was days for me.

I'm glad you're good though. Have mama get you some stool softener and take it with your narcotics.

joe
Thanks joe. The pain blocks are wearing off. I just hit the pump for the first time about an hour ago. The nurse came in few minutes later with stool softener meds.

Hope you have a fast recovery and get right on the physical therapy.. makes all the difference..
There's a good PT dept here at the hospital. I've used them several times. I'll bo going there for PT.

·
Just Sayin'
2,533 Posts
Just saw this Ted. Hope it all went well and you will have a full recovery.

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going pretty good so far Fred. Mama mowed the yard for me the other day. I drove myself to the doctor's office yesterday for my first followup and went to the grocery store this morning to pick up a few things. Home health sends a therapist 3Xs a week. I'll start going for "real" therapy in 4 weeks. All in all, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Super Moderator
19,319 Posts
Well at least with post surgical pain, it gets better with each passing day. At least until you start PT. And have to do that pain equals gain thing.

Hang in there Salty, you got this covered.

On the up side, you get to spend the summer chilling and drinking beer, while watching someone else cut the grass.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Going pretty good so far Fred. Mama mowed the yard for me the other day. I drove myself to the doctor's office yesterday for my first followup and went to the grocery store this morning to pick up a few things. Home health sends a therapist 3Xs a week. I'll start going for "real" therapy in 4 weeks. All in all, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
You're doing really well. Keep after it!

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
You could always get a trike for a temporary fix or if you like fixing bikes get a CanAm. You doing good keep up the good work.

tarheel

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Glad to hear it's going as well as it suppose to Uncle. Sorry I missed your post.

Sounds like ya got this to me.

Know a good friend that his wife tore her lateral collateral ligament (LCL) they replaced it with a donor. Creepy.

Next day they had her in bending it 90 degrees he said. That was a few months back. Last we talked he was a beliver in seeing results on his wife with sticking with therapy she miles ahead where she should be now.

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still doing pretty good. I was ran the weed eater for about 20 minutes, enough to clean up along the fence, around the shop and house, etc. Then I pushed the mower for a few laps before my wife took it away from me. I was rewarded with a fresh batch of oatmeal/raisin cookies so I sat under the fans on the patio and washed a couple of cookies down with a cold beer while she finished the mowing. :beer:

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
Glad it's going well, Unc.

How long before you can hold the scooter up or stand on the front deck of the boat?

Sent from here to there.

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure just yet. I've got two more appointments of in-home knee PT. They don't doing anything heavy, just some light stuff to improve range of motion, etc. Started PT for my back last week. I let my lower back program slide lately and it caught up with me. :duh2:

And a hernia showed up a week after my knee job. Two different doctors told me it needed to be repaired sooner than later but it's not an emergency deal. Maybe before July 4th. The back should be OK by then. "Real PT" on the knee starts as soon as the hernia surgeon releases me. Then there's that colonoscopy thing that the doc says I'm late for by 15 years.

The therapist that's working on my back said my knee is better now than some patients after they go through real-deal knee PT. We are planning a trip to the Keys in September or October if they don't get any storms this season. Was hoping to be a bike trip but at this point I can't say.

·
not sober all the time
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those two months can still be hot and muggy in ALL of Florida..
Yep but having lived in Louisiana all my life and worked in a glass factory for nearly 30 years, I'm good with it. We've been to the Keys nine times. My wife has worked in Florida for 8 contracts, 13 weeks each contract. Orlando, Sarasota, Fort Myers. The riding in Florida is pretty boring but summer temps in the Keys is cooler than here and not much more humid if any.

And you can't get this view from where I'm sitting.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
Homesick
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing