V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm the first to admit it. I'm a newbie :D I've ,road *** Traps for a long time and now have stepped up to the plate and have a Harley on oder. ;) I watch ALL the shows I can on Harleys and read as much as I can (So I don't look stupid) :D Here is my question: All these "kit" bikes are not Harley's are they? What I mean is I went to a Harley for a lot of reasons #1 Resale is awsome! There are a bunch more too! :) Now I look at some of thee bike makers and they are running S&S engines and Rev Tech too. Now, these aren't Harleys, are they? Will their resale be as good as a Harley? Or is it one of those "It's worth what a person will pay" type deal? :confused: Okay, I'm done.............. For now :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
No they are definatly not harleys if they do not have a Harley motor in them. Everything else depends on what state you live in(to legally be titled as a harley). IMHO They are not Harleys. I do like the look of the S&S Motor though, Especally on the Chiefs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
They aint harleys. You get (IMO) more bike for the money from certain kit bikes (more chrome, more power, more of a "custom" look...), however, you lose the resale, and it won't be quite as easy when it comes to insuring it in some cases.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back to me! :) I feel a little better now, some of those "kit" bikes are VERY cool looking :D I just wasn't to sure :confused:

·
Registered
312 Posts
The DMV will be a fight to in some states.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kit bikes

kit bike are thier own world, if you plan on building your dream bike and plan on keeping it for a while, and someone is amking a kit bike that falls into that catagory, well then that wuold be a logical route to take. yes registering can be a problem. register it as a harley replica, that always works fine. there are some nice shops able to assemblea kit bike for you, just ask, they can be together parts you might not see on most kits, for a reasonable price.
good luck
dawg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out cycletrader.com. SOme of the "kit bikes" hold up really well for resale, but mostly the manufacturers that make American bikes with their own frames do well. (Denver's Choppers, Big Mike's Choppers, West Coast, etc...)

I'd love to have Denver's build me a bike one day. And BMC's showroom bikes are fantastic for the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts