V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ten years ago I was sitting in traffic. A guy on a bike with a 7/8 Y.O. girl on back needed to make a left turn. Through three lanes of traffic he made the left turn behind me. The first two lane swere stopped. The third was a right turn lane and traffic was flowing. He didn't make the third lane. He slammed into the side of a car. I got out and saw the little girl laying there motionless. He was moving but hurt. He had a broken leg. She was lifeflighted to a hospital. He had a belt around the both of them... Some kind of safety device... my ass.

My point. Use some common sense. Riding is dangerous in the best of conditions. DO YOU WANT TO EXPOSE YOUR CHILD TO THE SAME DANGERS?

If all hell breaks loose, can you live with yourself if something happens to your child?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree with your point... use some common sense.

I hope I never have to witness what you did.

I realize that riding a bike with my kid is not the safest thing in the world and accidents do happen unexpectly. I try to use common sense in everything involved in her life. I do however take her for short rides on some back roads around the house. I wouldn't think about taking her on the interstate or four lanes. I know I can dump it anywhere, but I think the back roads are somewhat safer anyway(just my opinion, what others do is their busines). I ride at a slower safer speed and try to be even more aware than normal. I got precious cargo back there and would rather die then injure it. She's nine now and been going on a short jounts now and then for several years. I rigged a harness from lifevest straps in an "X" pattern to secure her. Shes got the proper safetyware and for ME anyway, I think she's safer with me then the same age neighbor girl who flys up the road and fields on a Honda four wheeler with nothing but a pony tail to protect her.I keep waiting for her to lose it and me have to go scrape this one up because her parents have no idea where she's even at. At least it is me behind the bars instead of a kid with way to much horsepower.

I'm more concerned about the "pervs" on the street. Also, the way things have changed in the schools since I've been there. We fought as kids... today they kill each other.

You are right I would hate myself if anything ever happened.This would include riding, or anything else that got by me to do her harm. It's a F**ked up world at times and ya just gotta do the best you can.

Ride Safe

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Smiles, I agree with you that riding a motorcycle does have certain risks associated with it. But motorcycling has long been a passion of mine. I cannot help it if my children share the interest. My youngest started riding behind me when he was around 5 years of age.He got his very own JR50 when he was 4 years old ! He is 14 now & rides better than some of the people I see out there ! I would much rather have him riding behind me than doing who knows what, who knows where.
Sure I'm extra careful when he's with me, who wouldn't be ?

Breeze was right when he said things are different today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I say...Keep Yer Knees in the Breeze.(pun intended:D )

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I remember the first time my son rode on the back of mine. He was big enough to hold on, stay awake, and reach the foot pegs.

When he turned 16 he took the motorcycle riders safety course. When he passed and got his license I had a 600cc Yama waiting on him.

We've logged a lot of miles together.

It's all about common sense. Ride within your limits. Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly and all that chit. :)

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I too ride my grandaughter with me on both short and long trips including interstate highways. I try to ride safely at all times but especially so with her onboard. She has to wear proper safety equiptment. Her helmet is just for her and fits properly. She has her own over the ankle riding boots. You should never ride a child in front of you or attach them to you in any way. The child is better off on their own in a crash than tethered to you or the bike. By the way statisticaly speaking interstate highways are much safer than other highways and back roads accounting fo only 2% of fatal accidents. ( motorcycles and other vehicle combined)

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
My daughter has been riding with me since she was 9 (she's 13 now). I love it that she enjoys the same things that I do; it may not be much longer that it remains true. We enjoy our time be it riding in town, interstate, or whatever. Obviously I don't ride aggressively with her on, but we still ride and love it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree riding is dangerous. Practice risk management and enjoy your life. Live too cautiously, you wont have any fun, and you still die. Life is too short, enjoy it. I just read about the 13 year old shot in front of her school today. We never know how long we have here. I take my daughter(7) riding every chance I get. I am very cautious and stay off of heavy traffic roads.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think we all agree that riding is dangerous. But hell, so is life. We can't live our lives in a bubble. I have two daughters ages 7 and 9 and they both love to ride with me. One of my greatest fears is going down hard with one of them on the back. They wear saftey gear and I tend to be more careful when they are on. They have both been on many short and long rides including a few arganized rides and they love it. For me riding is great fun and such a huge part of my life that ther is no way I would let them miss out on it. Risks and all.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
MilesOfSmiles said:
My point. Use some common sense. Riding is dangerous in the best of conditions. DO YOU WANT TO EXPOSE YOUR CHILD TO THE SAME DANGERS?
Agreed...common sense.
Agreed...riding is dangerous.

But the last one...hell, I'm afraid to send my little girl to school now (snipper in DC area).
Life is dangerous and that plain sux. Everytime I ride with my daughter I always think...what if.
But then again, I always think, what if, with everything pertaining to my daughter.
Brian

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I was given a ride in 1952 by a Fort Bragg soilder, it was the thrill if my life at that point and made quite an impression on a 10 year old kid. I ride today because of that summer time ride on a fringed out panhead dresser. Life is short, and if its time to go, we go. Suit em up and stay off the main roads. No flip flops and shorts.

ol fart
john

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last week in Ontario Canada some member of parliment wants to introduce a bill banning kids under 14 from riding as passenger on a motorcycle. Now legally a passenger has to be able to touch the pegs. I don't think the law will pass

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
One of my boys is 7 years old. When he hears my bike..he lights up like a christmas tree. I take him on short rides, but he know's he has to gear up and listen to Dad. I make sure the detachable sissy bar is on and off we go. I am overly cautious when he is on..but I'm in control. I worry more when he's not with me.

·
Motorhead
675 Posts
My son has been riding with me since he could reach the pegs. He has to wear his helmet, and leather when he does though. I know that I can't be prepared for everything, so I have to be overly cautious with him on the back. It's been 4 years now that he is riding with me. I love having him on the back sharing the world with him.

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
The thought of NOT having taken my daughter for rides sends chills down my spine!

Leather gear for my daughter. $500
Helmet for my daughter. $300
Time together. Priceless

Life is full of risks. I choose not to risk missing out on those special moments with my kid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I rode with my son to California when he was 12 and 13. First year no sissy bar levi jacket and a helmet and some gloves. I sweated the whole time that he would fall asleep on the back and fall off. I also thought that I had exposed him to risk that he didn't understand and couldn't really agree to. Second year, a big sissy bar full leathers and a full face helmet. I felt a lot better. Now he is too big to ride on the back and wouldn't if he could. He still is very proud of the rides and is generally uninmpressed by people talking up bikes. He feels he's done it. He hasn't but I agtee that he has had a great experience of bikes. He's been on all kinds of roads in all kinds of conditions. He made a lot of great aquaintances on the road from HA to HOG. I think the risk if properly handled is slight and worth running,

·
Registered
183 Posts
#1 Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

#2 My earliest memory is riding on something with my Dad.

#3 My son and I did road trips until he was 13. He now rides his own.

Go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts