V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm still getting used to the kickstart on my 77 shovel. Just wondering about any tips or tricks peopel have picked up in their experiences so I can find the right way to get her started.

Thanks for the help,
-Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
All I can offer after years of kickstarting is that it's more of an "art" than a "science." Beware the dreaded "kickback." It's all a combination of judicious choke use, and catching everything at the right time. After wearing yourself out, there isn't a more sweeter sound than the motor firing!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
If you flood it, turn the ignition off, turn the petcock off, while holding the throttle fully open kick completely through 4 times. Release throttle, open the petcock, position the kicker for full kick, turn on the ignition and it should start with that kick. If not, repeat the process.

Otherwise, you will learn it's quirks that are determined by temps, humidity, how long it's been off, etc.. Also, they don't like to start if there's a crowd watching you. :brows:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
GrayRider said:
Also, they don't like to start if there's a crowd watching you. :brows:
:laugh: :yes: and that's usually at the gas pumps with a goldwing at the other pump :duh?:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
77seph said:
Hey all,

I'm still getting used to the kickstart on my 77 shovel. Just wondering about any tips or tricks peopel have picked up in their experiences so I can find the right way to get her started.

Thanks for the help,
-Mike
Go electric and push the button. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hey Mike, all kidding aside one thing for sure is it's important to have the bike properly tuned :yes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Y2K said:
Hey Mike, all kidding aside one thing for sure is it's important to have the bike properly tuned :yes:
And it helps to have a few buddies along to give you a push after you over extend your knee 10 degrees past stop. :whistle:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Y2K said:
Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I think that kickers can get a lot of flack, but I love my shovel :cool:

Y2K, I do all my own wrenching, so do you know of any good write-ups for a full tuning of the bike? I bought it a few weeks ago and I think it's time for a tuning.

Thanks for your help,
-Mike

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Don't know what carb you have, but my old shovel had a diaphragm in the bottom of the carb. When cold kicking, I'd find a little stick and push it up through the hole to pump the diaphragm 3 times.
My other bike required a little more finesse. Turn on gas, twist throttle three times, kick once, close choke, roll motor to compression stroke and jump on it.

·
Banned
249 Posts
GrayRider said:
If you flood it, turn the ignition off, turn the petcock off, while holding the throttle fully open kick completely through 4 times. Release throttle, open the petcock, position the kicker for full kick, turn on the ignition and it should start with that kick. If not, repeat the process.

Otherwise, you will learn it's quirks that are determined by temps, humidity, how long it's been off, etc.. Also, they don't like to start if there's a crowd watching you. :brows:
this will only flood it worse...it has a carb,with a float chamber full of gas,turning the motor over will only result in more gas being drawn into the cyl not less. and every time you twist the grip the pump also adds more gas
you need to pull the plugs out then turn it over

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
crash1292 said:
this will only flood it worse...it has a carb,with a float chamber full of gas,turning the motor over will only result in more gas being drawn into the cyl not less. and every time you twist the grip the pump also adds more gas
you need to pull the plugs out then turn it over
Oh, I see, well you're 30 years too late in telling me that after I started the thing hundreds of times.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I worked at a indy shop for over 15 years...I bet I have started more flooded engines then you ever will in your life:boxin: your method will work but if it dosnt ..my step is next

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
77seph said:
Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I think that kickers can get a lot of flack, but I love my shovel :cool:

Y2K, I do all my own wrenching, so do you know of any good write-ups for a full tuning of the bike? I bought it a few weeks ago and I think it's time for a tuning.

Thanks for your help,
-Mike
Buy the Harley service manual for starters.
You might consider a carb upgrade like a later model stock CV off an Evo bike or an S&S Super E.
A good aftermarket electronic ignition upgrade will help as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciate the carb suggestion. Are there any well detailed and informative threads or write-ups on the issue?

Sadly I can't bring myself to change it to electric start. I love the satisfaction of hearing it start. It might be a pain at times, but it's my pain and I love it :)

-Mike

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
feel her out

I personally havent owned a kick only HD but I have kicked my share and worked on plenty. (The first thing, I always did was put a carb with an acc pump on it.) Before i turned anything on i would get my left knee up on the seat get a hold of the handel bar clamp (check the kill switch) with my left hand turn power on no choke yet, give her two pumps set the kicker and give her one. sometimes a fart but rarely then pull the choke give her one more pump and give her another boot! If she don't go (rare) she will on the next one just remember if the kicker dont feel right she is perfect always seemed to work for me good luck

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
77seph said:
Sounds like a good plan, I'll give it a try. What do you mean by a pump though?

-Mike
If you have a accellerator pump on the carb (twist) just like your car pump the gas hope it works for ya. practice in the garage with no one around lol
once you have it you will know it the tricky starts are the ones when your bar hoppin (still worm) you listen and feel the strokes when your setting the kicker thats the ticket you will be the kickin king

1 - 17 of 17 Posts