V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Black Magic said:
Try again, your link is broken and I would like to see this.
If I were you I'd kick his azz for that! :Dennis

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
That is funny.

I came close to that once.
XLCH died out in the country at a stop sign.
I rolled back a few feet from the intersection and put the kickstand down.
Prepped the pedal, stood up on the left footpeg and came down hard
on the kicker.
#$%#^#%$^#$%# kickstand broke and I just barely caught the bike.
Tried kicking while standing on the ground but didn't have enough a$$
to do the job.
Ended up push starting her to get going.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Holy crap...I have seen guys kick start from the side but don't you usually straddle the bike when kick starting? Just askin. I watched a guy in Kailua, Hawaii literally wear his ass OUT trying to get his bike started one day. Several of us offered to push but he kept trying to kick it. Sweat was DRIPPING off the poor guy. We had to push him about 4 times before it finally fired up...RAT BIKE that was a piece of sh*t. Anybody who thinks it's easy to push a big V-twin up to speed enough to start it (when it's a hard-starting POS to start with) has never tried it.

In this case here you would think the owner would know the bike had a tendency to creep off the kickstand......it's more his fault than the guy who didn't know sh*t about starting it. I was waiting for kickback to launch his ass to be honest. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Had a tuff time starting my chop one night. Aquaintence of mine, who fancies himself a tuff ole' biker type, limped over to "help" me. I thought he was going to adjust the carb. No, he pushed me away, kicked it unsuccessfully twice. Third times the charm, over he went, and landed on top of the bike. Then, he got pissy with me, said I shouldn't point the bike down-hill. Hmmm. HEs the one that dumped it.

Fortunately, the only thing that broke was a chrome grip. $30. For me, it was well worth the cost of admission to watch him fall over, he doesn't act like a know-it-all anymore (at least around me). Can you imagine, he starts to act like that to me around people, and all I have to do ask him how to kick-start a bike? hehe.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I dumped my old shovel a few times like that...no biggie except it's gonna earn ya some flack...

·
Registered
906 Posts
If I just knocked over another person's bike, I would have my ass up off that ground asap and getting the bike back up, not rolling around trying to play if off with a chuckle and wondering if that got caught on film.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
HDtwice said:
If I just knocked over another person's bike, I would have my ass up off that ground asap and getting the bike back up, not rolling around trying to play if off with a chuckle and wondering if that got caught on film.
They didn't seem overly concerned about knocking the bike over at all! Just a machine man!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I never dropped my bike while kicking it but I did give it a healthy kick once only to not have the kicker engage. It was worse than having it kick me back, I hyperextended my knee (bent it backwards to the way the Lord intended) so bad I broke out in a cold sweat from the pain. :crying:

A few minutes after sitting on the curb to shake off the pain I got creative and discovered I could kick it with my left leg too. Needless to say, a kicker rebuild followed in short order.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
LE PEW said:
I never dropped my bike while kicking it but I did give it a healthy kick once only to not have the kicker engage. It was worse than having it kick me back, I hyperextended my knee (bent it backwards to the way the Lord intended) so bad I broke out in a cold sweat from the pain. :crying:

A few minutes after sitting on the curb to shake off the pain I got creative and discovered I could kick it with my left leg too. Needless to say, a kicker rebuild followed in short order.
the old XLCH is famous for this. Mine is as bad as any, even after a complete overhaul of components.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
WideOne said:
believe it or not, I miss kick starting my old Shovel. It's a manly thing to do!
I agree with you but my old knee is happy that I use the button most of the
time these days.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I rode a 69 sporty a long time ago. I almost broke my knee from kickback a couple of times. One hard starting POS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts