V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the numbers on the ignition keys linked to a particular bike or an ignition, I met a guy last weekend and our keys would work on each others bikes, just curious. Thanks
Mongo

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Probably similar situation to regular locks you can buy for your home. Got to your local home improvement store and look over locks. Each has a number on the package. Find numerous ones with same number and you could put these locks on all exterior doors and only need 1 key.

If keys for your bike would work on his(and vice versae), odds are they were same ignition/locks. This is rare occurence IMHO.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I recently went to HD for an additional ignition key for my Sportster. They took my key, looked up some info in the catalog and handed it back to me. They did'nt have any in stock so I bought and paid for"one" in addition to some other parts. They sent me a card a couple weeks later to say the key was in. Got there and they handed me a package with two, pre-cut keys in it! BTW, ninefuckingfifty per key, in sets of two!:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey fourhour, I went to get an extra key for my softail, they mechnic told me just to go to a key and lock store and have one made, it would be a lot cheaper. Than ordering one from Harley.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i read one time that car makers only used a couple hundred different sets of locks on any one given make of car. I am sure harley is no different. It also stated that in the 50's and 60's there could have been as few as 10 different locks for any model. My parents used to have a 65' mustang and knew several other owners that had the same keys as theirs.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That gives you confidence. I agree with JimmyK. One loser+one harley key= a couple people without their bike.:( J.T.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keys

I always use a padlock on the neck when I go anywhere I'd worry about, just wondered if harley had several different ignitions that went out to different areas of the U.S., I know my father was visiting back east in his ford and went out to the parking lot , hit the auto unlock on his truck and it unlocked the ford parked by him also, guess all the auto makers probably do this.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
My ignition switch was changed due a fault, now I need TWO different keys to go......................And I'm keeping it that way ;)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mongo38 said:
Hey fourhour, I went to get an extra key for my softail, they mechnic told me just to go to a key and lock store and have one made, it would be a lot cheaper. Than ordering one from Harley.
I believe that HD blanks are not available to lock shops. We have a locksmith at work (Med Center) who looked the blank up in a catalog with no luck. If somebody tells me different, I'll believe it and suffer knowing I overpaid (again) for HD related shyt!:D

HD= Hundred Dollars
HD= Huge Debt

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the head mechnic at our local Harley dealership told me that the key to my softail is a briggs and stratton key and I could get one made at anyplace that makes keys and has a cutter that cuts both sides.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Been in the car business a long time. True story...lady went shopping, when she was leaving the shopping center, she got in a car just like hers (some kind of AMC if I remember correctly.) Same model and color, but it wasn't hers, it was somebody else's. Got in, cranked it up with HER key and drove it home. Let me tell ya, you gotta be one helluva dingbat to not know if you are driving your own friggin car....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Had an extra key cut on site by a vendor at a show this past weekend. Have seen the signs at other events, so the non Harley blank must be fairly available.

Still cost about $8 but didn't have to buy two, or wait.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i also have been in the car busines a long time. most manufactures have several hundred key codes and they just rotate the codes at the factory, when they get to the last code they start over. and it does not matter where the car is going. so any given car ca have the same key as your neibors car and i have seen it. at least this is what i have been told by enginers.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
For those of you who find Fuel injection to be too dependent on electronic technology this will really raise you eyebrows (and roll your eyes.)

Victory Motorcycles and Suzuki have both produced concept cruisers with fingerprint readers for ignition access. The technology is solid, and the cost is falling quickly. Several autos already offer keyless, fingerprint access only, and I think you'll soon see some bikes offer the same option.

It should be noted as, MN-Vrod pointed out in a previous post...

mnv-rod said:
EFI. ... after they drop the big one and the EMP burst knocks out all the electronics .... [/QUOTE

...only the older bikes with keys will be able to drive around in the rubble.

*disclaimer- I thought it only right to state that I am an investor in this technology, although not any of the companies listed above. (should say de-vestor because so far all I do is lose money.)

Suzuki

Victory

1 - 18 of 18 Posts