V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a set of Andrews TW26 Keyed Cams for my 03 FXDX. Will I also need an Andrews 34T keyed cam sprocket?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure how long this offer for the TW26 Cams will last. Anyone know if I'll need anything other than a the standard install kit for there keyed cams?

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Just so you know I was told that there is a higher failure rate with keyed cams over splined cams. Supposedly its the drive key (woodruff key) that fails. Harley only used the keyed cams in 99 for the TC. After that they went to splined. I am sure there are many folks on here that know much more about it than me but I would ask. Seems like a risk thats not needed when you could just get splined cams instead. I have a set of 0039 keyed cams that I feel I can't use because of this very issue.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
davemhughes said:
Just so you know I was told that there is a higher failure rate with keyed cams over splined cams. Supposedly its the drive key (woodruff key) that fails. Harley only used the keyed cams in 99 for the TC. After that they went to splined. I am sure there are many folks on here that know much more about it than me but I would ask. Seems like a risk thats not needed when you could just get splined cams instead. I have a set of 0039 keyed cams that I feel I can't use because of this very issue.
Interesting, since if you upgrade from 2000 or newer splined cams to gear drive, you return to keyed cams like the '99.

Anyone out there have a key failure?

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I called the guy who told me this. Dean @ Junction City H-D, decent guy 30+ yrs exp. He said he has personally seen several keyed cam failures with several more that showed a likelyhood that they would fail soon. He said that the cam key slot on the rear cam shaft is the area of concern. He said the key begins to move back and forth over time and the slot gets worn and eventually shears the the key causing a failure. He said thats why the Moco went to splined for added strength (or rather reduced liability). I did ask why gear cams have keys and no failures. The way it was explained to me is gear drive has a number of keys and the torsion is distributed where as on chain drive the torsion is focal on the one key. I really hope you get some posts on this as I want to know also as I have a set I would love to run. Given the number of true mechs on the board surely someone can answer this as I am no expert. Not trying to cause confusion for you just what I was told.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the good thing about living in Daytona is that Crane Cams is in town. I called them up and bought a set of new (splined) cams directly from them. Also got a great deal on a set of Time-Saver Adjustable Pushrods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts