V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In the wind and Loving it
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeps blowing the light fuse.

Hello one and all, I have a good one and I am in need of help...
I have a 2001 EG STD; only thing added to the wiring system is a Kuryakya – Rear, Run – turn – Brake controller.

Everything was going fine until about 3 months ago. My bike started blowing the light fuse when ever I run the spot lights.

I have replaced the front tip light and the wiring to the front tip light. Replaced the wires running to the two spot lights.

I can remove the controller and everything will work. I had the controller replaced under warranty. Still blowing fuses with the new controller.

I know that I am over looking something :hmmm: , and yes I have the factory wiring diagrams and have checked the connectors and grounds.

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Check the current draw on your other lights. Unplug the headlight and then turn on the spots. If they blow the fuse by themselves, you have a short in the circuit, if all looks good, check the switch, they can go bad.

·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
route66paul said:
Check the current draw on your other lights. Unplug the headlight and then turn on the spots. If they blow the fuse by themselves, you have a short in the circuit, if all looks good, check the switch, they can go bad.

routr66paul, thank you for the reply. I rechecked everything today, I will check the switch, that was the only thing that I did not check.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
You said everything worked without the controller did you not? I have gone through 3 of these Kuryakyn load limiters and each one was defective. I finally landed one that was not and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years. You may also want to check for water build-up in one of the connectors. That can happen as well and short out a connection and blow the fuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MR bill, you may want to check THE WIRING HARNESS AT THE STEEL SUPPORT ON RIGHT HAND SIDE OF INNER FAIRING RIGHT ABOVE WHERE THE BIG CONNECTOR IS ATTACHTED, THERE SHOULD BE NO WIRES TOUCHING THE SHARP EDGE OF THIS. mine was, and causeing all kinds of things to go haywire. i found this on another site.i put a split rubber hose over the sharp edge and cured all my problems. BIMBO

·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bimbo, Cool, that's one place that I did not check:hmmm: .. My bike is on my lift right now, too bad I'm at work..But I will check it first thing..Hopefully that will be it. Sucks not have all my lights...Ride safe.

·
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a fix

First I would like to thank everyone that provided me some direction. I finale wired my spots to the acc power wire and things are looking good. No blown fuses so far.. Knock on wood. This just reminds me how great a group I'm lucky enough to hang online with.:thumbsup:

Now full power to the lights Scotty!:xhere:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts