V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to keep my running lights on when I have my lights on 'bright'. With the way Harley has things wired, they are just on when the headlight is on 'dim'. I have an 07 Electraglide Classic, but I 'assume' it probably is that way with all the touring models. When I had my fairing apart to install the garage door opener I tried a few things to make this work.. but to no avail... I could make the running lights always on... but lost the abililty to go to dim when I wired the high beam light to the running light hot wire. Has anyone been able to make the lights work properly and still have the running lights stay on??

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Just a note for any who may be considering this option. I changed the wiring on my H-D Deluxe so that the passing lamps are on with both high-beam and low-beam and would have to say that, given 20-20 hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. I find that the passing lamps are great with the low-beams on, giving a bright and wide field of vision. But, with the high-beams on, having the passing lamps on as well tends to be more of a distraction than a help. The P/L's still light up the field of vision close in, but that's not where you want to focus your attention or you wouldn't have the high-beams on. Most of the time I end up reaching down and shutting off the P/L's with the toggle switch when using the high-beams. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
A $6 switch an piece of wire with $.10 worth of instructions and shipping is all covered by the shipping charge, and $37 for thinking of it. What a deal!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got two bikes one with the passing on all the time and one with out. I like having them on. I don't believe the distraction arguement. Give me all the light you can. I am not going to turn the blinders on, one area, to concentrate on another.

was thinking about making the wiring change. Also going to 50w in the passing lamps. Makes a big difference.

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
203 Posts
Electra Geezer said:
;!pstwhore ;!pstwhore ;!pstwhore ;!pstwhore

It is a numbers thing!

I think 43 is the number for him.

I do kind of like the idea of that 3 way switch, would be nice to have the ability to flip a switch and be back to the way it came. Dont know that I would ever set it that way, but it'd be nice to have the ability to.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I just have my switch set directly. That way I control the passing lights. The 3 way switch is an idea, someone is sure proud of the idea. I would expect that if it was hanging on a dealership's wall, but from some guy on ebay that packages them in his garage, it is rather expensive.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
route66paul said:
I just have my switch set directly. That way I control the passing lights. The 3 way switch is an idea, someone is sure proud of the idea. I would expect that if it was hanging on a dealership's wall, but from some guy on ebay that packages them in his garage, it is rather expensive.
I like your sarcasm Joe just busting your balls +SMSH+

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I've considered doing this also, but I think it may be a better safety feature as is. Flipping the hi beam switch kills the passing lamps of course and I'm thinking thats a good thing...changing the number of lights that are on I think forces the cage who's pulling out to have to re-judge the distance or at least re-think about it. I would actually prefer to have a readily flippable PL switch for this reason. Of course, the PL switch on my RK is ridiculously mounted on the triple clamp and not even considered accessible. :thumbsdn:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
i just powered the switch for the passing lamps off the power for the other switch on the triple clamp in my RK.

easy cheesy free.

as for the PL's being low, my fogs in my truck are like that,
the intense light in small area makes it harder to see farther.

so on the bike, i just aimed the PL's out where the High beam goes,

and now, the Low beam works on low, and the PL's do some high stuff,
but on High beam - i got good lites!!

i won't ride with my PL's turned off.....

the PL's make a HUGE difference, if you start looking at oncoming bikes, the bikes with PL's are MUCH more noticable.

one lonely headlight doesn't give enough visual information for a driver to judge anything. 3 lights and park lamps give enough visual data points for a cager to notice and at least guesstimate your speed of approach & which way you are heading.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
The reason that Haley has the spotlights to go off with the High beams is because of state law. In most states, the spot and fog lights are required to go off with the high beam. If you change them to be on with the High beam, you take the chance of some cop to have "Probable Cause" to stop you and give you a ticket. He can also have the chance to find other reasons to search you and your bike. So you take your chance. :nope:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts