V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many (or any for that matter) bear problems in my area.However,I intend to keep it that way.
Seriously,I have been admiring this particular pistol for quite some time.The urge to have never went away.So after some extra was money was collected I went for it.I personally just think it looks very well balanced for it's size.I loaded it up with 300 grain 454's and ran a few through it.It belts out a punch but nothing that makes me not want to shoot it more.

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
You can never be too careful.

Looks like a nice piece. Also looks like a handful to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Interesting piece. I have one with the 7 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just the opposite has been my experience.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
A long barrel allows pressure to build up behind the bullet. I had a long barrel model 29 in 44 mag. and it had a lot of recoil, and also a short barrel version that was half the recoil. That has been my experience. On the other side of the coin I had a 20 ga 5.5 lb. double barrel shotgun that kicked like a mule and a 10 ga. auto that had very little recoil.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
A long barrel allows pressure to build up behind the bullet. I had a long barrel model 29 in 44 mag. and it had a lot of recoil, and also a short barrel version that was half the recoil. That has been my experience. On the other side of the coin I had a 20 ga 5.5 lb. double barrel shotgun that kicked like a mule and a 10 ga. auto that had very little recoil.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have that same shotgun it belonged to my father. Long barrels have a kick for sure.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Heh heh... looks like good bear medicine to me!
A father was going to take his son bear hunting for the first time.
The son says Pop what if I am trailing a bear and realize the bear is right behind me?
Why son you reach down pick up some sh!t and throw it in his face and he will leave you alone.
Where am I going to get this sh!t Pop?
Don't worry son, they'll be some sh!t.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
With recoil it's weight of the firearm vs the load you shoot from it.

I have 1oz 12 gauge loads you can shoot 3-400 of in a day and be non the worse for wear. And I have some 1.5oz loads that you will think twice about firing the second one.

That little pistol is no different. To shoot properly in 454, it take a down spec load. Otherwise you just be setting brush fires. Even 44 special needs a down spec load for a barrel that short.

And as far as being a bear gun, well I guess it might scare them away. Or if you get real manly about it, you could walk up and stick it in the bears ear as you wrestle with him.

Hell, if you had use that thing on muggers, you ruin your own hearing in the process. But then again, just looking into the wrong end of it will prolly run most muggers off.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
With recoil it's weight of the firearm vs the load you shoot from it.

I have 1oz 12 gauge loads you can shoot 3-400 of in a day and be non the worse for wear. And I have some 1.5oz loads that you will think twice about firing the second one.

That little pistol is no different. To shoot properly in 454, it take a down spec load. Otherwise you just be setting brush fires. Even 44 special needs a down spec load for a barrel that short.

And as far as being a bear gun, well I guess it might scare them away. Or if you get real manly about it, you could walk up and stick it in the bears ear as you wrestle with him.

Hell, if you had use that thing on muggers, you ruin your own hearing in the process. But then again, just looking into the wrong end of it will prolly run most muggers off.
Shot some "hot" loads in a friends 6" Anaconda years ago... I "assume" it was more powder in cartridge... Almost smacked me in the face the first shot.... Nasty recoil

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
To shoot properly in 454, it take a down spec load. Otherwise you just be setting brush fires. Even 44 special needs a down spec load for a barrel that short.
I wondered about muzzle blast on that gun. It would be an interesting shoot at night.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts