V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating this for a week or so. I have a 1998 Sportster Hugger, bought it used and it's a great bike. It is my first bike, my starter bike cause I never drove one before, so I needed something small. Now that I have gotten use to it, do I keep it or trade it in? I could probably get a 03' Low Rider, but that won't be until November, or around there, or a WideGlide.

I am ready to accessorize my bike and I'm not sure what I want to do. I want to get a few things but I don't want to put everything on the bike and end up trading it in and waste my money.

So is a Sportster a good bike to have? Is it good for long distances cause I plan on making a few long distance trips?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Lisa, may I ask why you are considering the trade up? Kind of hard to answer without some more info.

Sportys are great bikes. Not the best for the long haul but good bikes.

My brother Manny and I did Hollister this year. We had a young lady along on a Sporty that screamed ! The bike fit her great and she was a good rider.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was mostly going to be a starter bike, something to learn on. There really is nothing wrong with it, but I mostly like the bigger bikes, I just don't know if I could handle one, seeing that I'm only 5'1". I like bikes that stand out and I don't see mine doing that. So it's mostly do I put the money up on accessories to make it stand out or trade it in on one that already does.

I think the one thing that is getting me on not trading it in is will I be able to handle a bigger bike?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Personally, I think the Sporty is harder to handle than many of the larger bikes. They tend to be more top heavy.

There are a lot of things you could do that would make your bike stand out just fine. The most impotrtant factor is, making it stand out because of what YOU did to it by way of custom work.

The $$ saved by keeping it and throwing some cash at it is pretty big.

If you sink a lot of cash in a larger bike, you will still have to pump some bucks into it to make it stand out.

If you are comfortable with the way your bike fits you, my gut tells me to advise you to keep it and make her a beauty.

This is advice coming from a RoadKing Rider, so there is no favoritism in my response. Your words are packed with doubts that in many cases means you should sit tight for a while longer.

Hope this helps, and welcome to The Forum! ;)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to say, but the sporties are by no means the easier bikes to handle.

Several ladies that ride with us have all traded their sportsters for Heritages and Fatboys, but they were in a different position. Around here dealers had a deal where if you bought a sporty and within a year traded for another bike you got all the money you paid for it applied to the new bike. With one exception dealers around here will not even take sportsters in trade at any price.

My suggestion would be either decide to keep it forever and spend what you want on it, sell it privately as is and get what you want, or don't spend a dime on it and keep it as a backup bike and get what you want.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Try to make your decision before you put money into accessories on as you normally don't get that money back. You sound as if your still deciding, so I'd just ride the Hugger the way it is, before your decision is made. Right now over here in central Pa there seems to be a glut of Harley's selling now for some lower prices than there was in the spring. Maybe hold onto it through the fall and winter, think it over some more, formulate a plan for the Hugger or sell it in the spring for the down on the lowrider. Whatever you do, good luck. Me, I'm planning on keeping the Sportster I have and trying to swing an FLHR or FLHT in the spring.:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
keep it, I was going through the same question a while back. I want a bagger, but I like my little hot rod sporty. I have done alot to it, and I will most likley order the pipes in this pic today. If you trade it you will regret it, get the second bike when you can, thats my plan. Per the pic below you can drasticaly change the look of a sporty with a diff tank (which I have bought) new bars, and other stuff

·
Registered
695 Posts
If your financial status and your budget can handle keeping the bike then I would say hold on to it. I guessing that you still like the bike but would prefer a larger bike for long distance.
My thinking is pretty much in line with HIPPO's and just take a look at Misguided's bike -- This bike stands out bigtime, looks sharp.
I (and all the others I'm sure) wish you well on this decision you'll make, good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I think I'm going to keep it and then save money to get a second bike. By the picture MisGuided put up I see that I can change the look of it and make it look pretty sharp. I do like my Sporty, I guess bigger is not always better :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought mine 4 years ago, mostly for the price cause a big twin was so expensive. Since then I've changed just about everthing but the fenders, forks, frame, and engine/tranny. I've ridden friends bikes, Road Kings, a 2000 Heritage Softail, and others. For the type riding I do, mostly day trips, in the NE Ga mountains, I wouldn't trade "Miss Scarlet" for any of them. I have been on long trips, 350 mile days, and am none the worse for wear than my friends on the bigger bikes. If you're planning on taking a lot of really long trips, get a bigger bike. Other than that, my bet is if you sell or trade the sportster for a bigger bike, you'll wish you hadn't very soon. I have a pic of her in the forum in the Sportster pic section. Check it out and let me know what you think!!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Lisa,

I think you probably made the right decision. I, like you have a sportster I'm using it to learn on and then was thinking of selling it in a few months and move on to a softtail.. I have heard that sportster's are top heavy and softtails are easier to ride. But.......when I think of the cost I could only afford an older model soft tail and I might just be better of either tricking my bike out it only has 28,000 miles or buying a newer sportster. Decisions, Decisons, but looking at these pictures you have the opportunity of really making an outstanding bike just the way you want it color, style, accessories etc. A new makeover all your own with your own unique personality. WOW great opportunity....I agree spend the money on a bike that you are already comfortable with.... Keep us updated and send some pictures.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
875 Posts
medicinewoman said:
Oh by the way love those pipes...... Want some

got em on order, 1 to 4 week wait depending on chromers :mad:

I will add some more cutom sporty pics, this is the same tank going on mine

·
Registered
875 Posts
considering doing something like this to mine :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Lisa
I have a '98 Sporty XLH (1200) since Nov. '01 & I love it. At first I was a bit intimidated by it because it is a bit top heavy, but you get used to that real quick. The bike moves really quick off the line & through the gears -as fast as you want to go & is a blast through the twisties! The ride is uncomfortable with stock seats & suspension, however using aftermarket seats like Mustang & replacing stock suspension with Progressive shocks and springs can make a world of difference. I have taken 200 mi. trips & take a short break about every hour or so without any numbness that some people complain of. The bike always draws compliments (lotsa chrome btw), and handles like a dream on back country roads. I personally think that you will love the Sporty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.