V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 yr old daughter and I are going to Kankakee, IL Thu and Fri w/ wife. She'll be working 8 hours a day while we swim and I drink. Anything to do after that gets old?

Thanks!

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
thats his daughter damn it.:badmood:
and as far as kankakee goes, i don't know much bout that town. can't say that i have ever been that i can remember.

ooops, sorry, didn't see the wife was going too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live about an hour north of there. I hope you have an indoor pool cause its only going to be in the 50's. As far as you and the kid I dont think theres much to do down there But maybe throw a line in the river. Sorry I cant help u more. Dennis

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the H-D dealers south of Chicago might be within striking distance. Preferences?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Kankakee had several well-patronized houses of ill repute many years ago. Ask any cab driver. It's a cottage industry in Illinois. Don't ask me how I know. :)

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daughter wasn't raised in California, so she probably wouldn't enjoy that. But thanks anyway. Really.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think there big on antiqueing there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's a good place to watch the corn sprout. But anyone from Indiana should already know alot about that.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Dave,
Not sure if you saw it in chat, but the only train service from there to Chicago is Amtrak......

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
479 Posts
My grandparents are buried in Mound Grove Cemetery and the family farm (purchased 1854) is a few miles outside of town, so as a kid we went every Decoration Day. We bought geraniums at the nursery, visted the graves, had a picnic in the park along the river, and visited the farm. My dad told us stories about life on the farm when he was a kid, going to town on Saturdays in the surrey, etc. He showed us the shallow place in the river where they could ford it. My grandfather was sponsored by the Presbyterian Church and left the farm to attend seminary in 1922. My great uncle had a patronage job at the courthouse all his life and cared for my great-grandmother. It's a great place to visit if you have roots there, but I'm not sure if there is much for visitors to do beside walking around the courthouse square.

There is a buffet restaurant on the southern edge of town that is pretty good.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the "damning with faint praise" continues...:badmood:
It'll probably frickin' rain, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts