V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every few miles I'll get a "Ka-chug" out of my engine rather than a normal power stroke. The machine will balk and then procede normally. It's more associated with lower rpms (2000) in third gear, but not exclusively. Wha-zit?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Can't help without knowing what you got. Carbed or EFI, rejetted or flashed, mufflers, A/C, etc.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
"lugging it", means you're running the beast at too low an RPM. Just as you can over rev an engine, under revving one (lugging) is not good either.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Disregard those posts I've deleted, What would I know anyway?
I've no Tach!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Well, what?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Unless it's 1st gear, anything under 2500 is lugging according to American Iron Magazine. It works for me...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Don't necessarily disagree with you about lugging under 2500 RPMs but don't believe everything you read in American Iron. I've got every issue they have published of that mag and they have made some really bad statements over the years.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would agree with the lugging under 2500 rpm if you qualify it and add more then 1/4 throttle or so.

·
Banned
999 Posts
there is no set point that defines lugging an engine.

It seems to me that if you are running at low to moderate engine speeds and the engine does not respond to the throttle it might be a good idea to use a lower gear.

when the engine starts chugging , and the primary chain starts rattling you can assume that your big twin is working pretty hard .

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I thought lugging was a bigger problem in the higher gears? I can rap my Dyna at 2000 RPM's in frist it take off so fast it has no time to lug. Now in 4th or 5th lug a chug lug chug. At About 2300 rpm on my bike I get no lugging in any gear from any amount of gas given.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'm not lugging it. A twin should pull in third gear from 2000rpm, no problem. It was described to me as being a "lean condition" meaning that it is jetted too lean (carbed model). But I've got a dynojet 185 in there. ( Scream'n Eagle pformance pipes). At 2000 is the slow(idle) jet still shoot'n? SHould the 45 slow jet be boosted to a 48? Is that it? I should be able to pull third gear at 18-2000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
2000 rpm's is pretty much it. Lower than that and you truly into a lug area, but as said with a easy roll on the motor will/should pick up. I get down to 40 MPH or 1900-2000 rpms in 5th and that will deffinetly lug there if I was to rap it. I ran a 48 slow with my basic stage one and it realy helped the low-mid range.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You may be in the transition range from low speed jet to the needle. Do you know how the needle is set? If you've got a Dynajet kit in there, the needle has slots for adjustability. How is the mixture screw set?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts