V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naturally, you can't get tech support on a weekend from where I bought this thing.

1) Just finished installing a K&N Air Filter kit. On the stock air filter, there was a connector that hung down behind the stock backplate and was held there by a plastic push pin clip. The install instructions make no mention of this, I have it still hanging there.

2) In reading the updated instructions on the website, I should have installed a washer between the backer plate and the breather bolt extensions that were provided. My instrutions say 2006 do this. The new instructions say 2006/2007 do this. How important is it that I now take this whole thing apart to get those washers in there?

Thanks in advance, hopefully this makes sense.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I don't know about the washers because I used a SE intake kit with a K&N filter.

Your hanging wire, however, is unimportant. Cable tie it out of the way. I forget what it does, but I think it's for international models.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, the rubber velocity stack doesn't seem to be held in there by much. Folding it over to get to the screws to attach the plate to the intake just resulted in it falling out... It's it suppose to be in there tighter than that?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind the quesiton about the washer, I took it apart and re-installed it, and I zip tied the connector out of the way. Still feel wierd about the velocity stack, but it's in there.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
velocity stack

yeah, mine was just laying in the filter when i pulled mine off last time, i stuck it back in place but will go back later for a better fix

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx all, that's what I did and Jamie at Fuelmoto confirmed when I called and answered all my other questions.

Now just waiting for a non-rainy day here to get it out all together and see how it works.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
K&n

Make sure to wash ALL the oil from it prior to EFI tuning.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
2001deuce said:
Also, the rubber velocity stack doesn't seem to be held in there by much. Folding it over to get to the screws to attach the plate to the intake just resulted in it falling out... It's it suppose to be in there tighter than that?
I "shoe gooed" it the the backing plate. I had the same problems.

I don't use it anymore, went with the Doherty air cleaner

·
IronButt
386 Posts
2001deuce said:
Naturally, you can't get tech support on a weekend from where I bought this thing.

1) Just finished installing a K&N Air Filter kit. On the stock air filter, there was a connector that hung down behind the stock backplate and was held there by a plastic push pin clip. The install instructions make no mention of this, I have it still hanging there.

I drilled a hole in my K&N back plate to match the plastic push clip

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shoe-gooed it? Could you explain more about what that is? Some sort of adhesive to keep in on?

Mickey, did you have a problem with the velocity stack as well?

Thx,

·
IronButt
386 Posts
Yeah,
the velocity stack was a little bit of a pain in the a$$ fkeeping it from being pinched. I just drove the bolts in slow and evenly as much as possible and it stayed in place.

Not sure what that sensor is for that was mounted on the stock air filter. I just figured it was easy enough to to just drill a hole and put it back where it was originally

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any one else with this problem. I e-mailed Fuelmoto and they seemed to think the velocity stack was defective in some way. I called K&N and they're sending me a new one. I've taken in apart like 3 times now and I cannot get that lip on the velocity stack to pinch against the gasket and stay in there. Found it lying in the filter again.

Any thoughts about what might happen if I just didn't use it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what's the "goo trick". I've heard of shoe goo, but don't know what it is. I assume some sort of adhesive, put it on the lip of the velocity stack?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
2001deuce said:
So what's the "goo trick". I've heard of shoe goo, but don't know what it is. I assume some sort of adhesive, put it on the lip of the velocity stack?
It's just that 'Shoe Goo' the stuff you use to run around the stitching on your boots. Personally I would use one of their other products like Marine Goo... much stronger and about the same price. Avail at most marine stores.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, just to follow up, I e-mailed both Fuel Moto, then called K&N at their instruction. K&N and Fuelmoto thought that my velocity stack was defective. K&N warranteed the part without complaint, the new one came in the mail and I installed it on Saturday. Not only was it stiffer, seemingly made of something tougher, but the lip on the back was thicker. It installed without complaint and I definitely think it will stay put.

I'd recommend to any of you guys that are having the same issue as I was, call K&N and ask them to warrantee the part. The replacement is simply better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts