V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time to replace my air filter on my 02 Sportster 883 Hugger and I'm considering replacing the stock one with a K&N filter equivalent. Would you recommend the K&N filter?

The prices I've found online are in the $55-$65 range. What is a good price and where is a good place to buy online?

I'm not looking for the high flow filter but rather one equal to the stock filter. Will this still require me to rejet the carb?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you use the K&N filter, you will probably need to rejet the carb. The OEM filter is very restrictive thanks to the good folks at the EPA.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you just use a K&N in the stock air box with stock mufflers your OK. For 65 bucks or less you can get the real deal in the S/E air cleaner. After all its a K&N filter anyway, but with a less restriction because it realy has no "air box".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Help - Problem with air filter?

Well, I received the K&N air filter today (part #HD-1388). When I replaced the stock air filter with the K&N I noticed that the K&N is slightly wider than the stock one(about 2-3 mm). Because of this when I put the cover back on there is a slight gap between the cover and the backplate. Is this a problem and if so what can I do about it to make the air filter fit right?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Back up there. Did you say you got a S/E air cleaner or just the filter? The S/E air cleaner has it own backing plate thats flat. The space around the cover and the backing plate is where the air is drawn in from. Whats up?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the K&N brand air filter element not the SE. I have the stock backing plate.

The goal was to simply switch the stock air filter with the K&N without having to rejet the carb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wonder if dealer sold you the right filter ? Think they have one to replace the stock and another that fit SE "airbox" ... recheck part numbers.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
When I had my '03 1200S my non-Harley Harley store put the K&N filter in my stock air box.....fit perfectly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The K&N from the S/E kit will not fit in the stock airbox (black plastic backing plate), unless you modify the box. Sounds like he just got the K&N replacement for the stock filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts