V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2000 BMW R1150GS from a buddies daughter (her ex husbands bike) out in California. Always been fond of the old boxers so we'll see how this works out.....damn good deal to me....got it for $3300.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Kewl, enjoy!

Sent from a handheld item of convenience

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
We expect a full review.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Although it's its design looks a tad awkward it'll probably run circles around any harley.. Lol. I've always been curios about the BMW bikes. They do have a solid rep and following. Would that be classified as an adventure bike with some off road capability?

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
Although it's its design looks a tad awkward it'll probably run circles around any harley.. Lol. I've always been curios about the BMW bikes. They do have a solid rep and following. Would that be classified as an adventure bike with some off road capability?
Yup--its an adventure bike and has won some distance awards.
They are cool motorbikes.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I am shocked to discover a die hard Harley man would consider another brand. My 58 BMW I had when younger was a pleasure to ride although ugly as mud. It seems BMW goes out of their way to make the ugliest bike possible. Ugly they may be, but a fine riding bike. My father had a boxer and I would steal it when he was out of town. Have fun Cwilk.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well--its not all black.
Enjoy--it looks to be nice and clean.
I was intrigued with the OD green tank.

We expect a full review.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk
Of course

It is....has a Corbin seat and PIAA driving lights.

Ridin' it home?
Cheaper to ship it then fly out and hotel stays back home BUT if it was summer I would have done that.

Yup--its an adventure bike and has won some distance awards.
They are cool motorbikes.
I've been interested in a local RT for awhile but this just happened to fall in my lap. A bud of mine that has daughters on opposite coasts (Cali and Fl.) and rides back and forth visiting them (he's retired also) is in Cali visiting this one and posted it on another site I visit. He's leaving on Thurs. to go visit his other daughter in Fl.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Congrats on your new to you bike. Remember what BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be careful when riding past any Starbucks, I hear BMWs will spontaneously turn into those parking lots.
I'm going to have to brush up on my assholedness....I hear BMW owners are even worse than I'm used to being.

Congrats on your new to you bike. Remember what BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet"
I've been checking fortunately owning Harley's has taught me to expect ridiculous prices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BMW makes a good motorcycle but not a good looking motorcycle.
They are very dependable as long and they are taken care of.
If this bike has 40k or more miles on it, take care of the drive shaft, that is one of the weaknesses of BMW's and a very expensive fix.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Cousin that rides BMW's, I dont talk to him.......
sounds a little childish but ok.

BMW makes a good motorcycle but not a good looking motorcycle.
They are very dependable as long and they are taken care of.
If this bike has 40k or more miles on it, take care of the drive shaft, that is one of the weaknesses of BMW's and a very expensive fix.
I love the utilitarianism of the design...It has 54K on it....I'll take heed of that...thanks

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Airheads last longer cuz the head is always in the airstream. Drain the oil at the driveshaft and inspect it like any other oil. Don't do wheelies in 2nd and you will be fine. I wouldn't worry about a paltry 54,000 on an airhead. Go to a rally and check milages. Yours is just broken in.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,390 Posts
I hope you enjoy it, and I have a question...

How tall can you be and still fold your legs in behind that motor for long stretches of time?

joe

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Airheads last longer cuz the head is always in the airstream. Drain the oil at the driveshaft and inspect it like any other oil. Don't do wheelies in 2nd and you will be fine. I wouldn't worry about a paltry 54,000 on an airhead. Go to a rally and check milages. Yours is just broken in.
I gotta tell ya Captn.....when I first starting reading your comments I didn't think you had a clue....lately you've made some comments that actually sound like you know what you're talking about....well done.

I hope you enjoy it, and I have a question...

How tall can you be and still fold your legs in behind that motor for long stretches of time?

joe
I don't think it's any worse than other bikes with mid pegs but I can always stretch my legs out on that crash bar....I think. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts