V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some assembly required. The assy. instructions leave a lot to your own figuring it out. Tighten up ALL the fasteners. The factory just puts them together finger tight.

It looks good. They're on SALE out of Thunder Press for $59.99 -- about $10 to ship your full order. (I also purchased a wheel cleaning stand -- same coupon discount ad. $19.99)

And so -- hydraulic lift "bottle jack" and there's a slow release to let the bike down. I worry about the bike coming down, leaning over onto the jiffy stand, and the stand not quite being in place to support the bike. (Yeah, I know -- that's why we check this stuff.)

I worry about 850 lbs up on a rack.

The Harley Service Manual talks about where to place the lift, how to secure the tie downs. Still, that's a lot of weight up on a lift.

I'm thinking just use the H-D oil drain pan for oil changes and keep the bike on the shop floor.

Discuss . . . What's your routine w/ lifts and maintenance?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have that lift, been using it for years with my softail

·
Banned
102 Posts
I have one of the same jacks. Had it for years, works just fine. Only thing I didn't like is that the cross bars are just barely long enough to fit a bike frame. So I added a plate to extend them a little. Still a great little jack for tinkering.

I usually change the oil on a table. But if the choice is jack or on the ground, I would take the ground for sure. The jack would just get in the way of your hands.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, "width" -- I didn't measure or check, but it looked tight to me. I like this H-D oil drain pan. The product photo shows a primary chain cover on this pan. It provides a clean, secure place to work with the dripping parts.

Harbor Freight also offers this lift for $179. Not quite sure where you'd grab the bike, but I like the idea of having it "suspended" from above rather than jacked up from below.

High Position Motorcycle Lift

Item # 99887 Manufacturer: Central Hydraulics Motorcycle lift can support a bike up to 1100 lbs.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
my bikes only a few inches off the floor when i work on it or store
it for the winter but i got a crappy lift...a better one's on the list.

blue lift looks like a torture device or somethin kinky.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Harbor Freight also offers this lift for $179. Not quite sure where you'd grab the bike, but I like the idea of having it "suspended" from above rather than jacked up from below.

This lift goes under the bike not above.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Maybe there is a little S&M goin' on here :hystria::hystria::hystria: The dominator

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
yep dyna and sporty frames dont work with the HF Yellow lift been using that model in my shop for all my old FLH old school frames...

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
I have this lift, use it on my V-rod and my FLSTFB for general work. Use the table for the big work though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Greetings,
They also make the orange one that has longer rails on top than the yellow one that does indeed work for Dynas.
I have one I have used for quite a few years.
Just used it again last month to replace both tires and do primary service.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
No complaints nor problems with my Harbor Freight MC lift. Only had & used it for 3yrs.

I do have a 92 FL hanging from a chain hoist out on my back porch.
I got the chain hoist from Harbor Freight also.

I also buy often from Northern Tool.
Mostly the same stuff. Great customer service.
Free parts sent when I had problems not of their making.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've had several of those steel jacks from Sears which seem to be the same unit. They were okay except they are a little too high to slide under some bikes. especially if it's been lowered at all. This time I spent a few extra bucks and got the aluminum one from Sears. Half the weight and much easier to use. Plus it'll slide under anything and you get the extension plates if you have a high ground clearance bike. I love this jack, it's amuch better quality than the steel one.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used the yellow one tonight -- tried it out at any rate. The frame width is 11" and the stand supports are 13 1/2". So there's ample margin if you pay attention.

I put a 3/4" block under the jiffy stand to get the bike upright enough to get the jack underneath. Lift is smooth, stable. Operate the jack from the left side, so you can support the bike on the descent and ensure the jiffy stand is in place.

The one complaint would be that the "slow release" comes down pretty fast. Support the bike w/ both hands off the left side and release the jack. Left side allows access to the jiffy stand, being able to swing the leg over the bike on the ground and stabilize, let it down on the jiffy stand.

$60 -- I don't use a jack much. Harbor Freight sells a table for $299.

The blue one goes under the bike eh? Do tell . . . looks like a hanger to me, but then I think it looks pretty kinky too. :redrolf:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I use mine from the right and leave my jiffy stand down, I let the bike down one hand on the throttle grip and the other on the jack release. bike comes down and rest on it's stand.
I have done this 100s of not a 1000 times

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems that it would almost be easier to just buy the table and be done with it. I don't have experience with either but I'm a bit apprehensive about using a jack with my dyna.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I never had any trouble using the jack, had the back end of the bike torn down, removed the forks and many other things using this jack, don't see it as a problem

·
Registered
789 Posts
I used the yellow one tonight -- tried it out at any rate. The frame width is 11" and the stand supports are 13 1/2". So there's ample margin if you pay attention.

I put a 3/4" block under the jiffy stand to get the bike upright enough to get the jack underneath. Lift is smooth, stable. Operate the jack from the left side, so you can support the bike on the descent and ensure the jiffy stand is in place.

The one complaint would be that the "slow release" comes down pretty fast. Support the bike w/ both hands off the left side and release the jack. Left side allows access to the jiffy stand, being able to swing the leg over the bike on the ground and stabilize, let it down on the jiffy stand.

$60 -- I don't use a jack much. Harbor Freight sells a table for $299.

The blue one goes under the bike eh? Do tell . . . looks like a hanger to me, but then I think it looks pretty kinky too. :redrolf:
These are some of the reasons I went with the aluminum jack this time. You don't have to stand the bike up to get the jack under, or worry about it on the way down. The jack can be slid under the bike from either side and the single pole control makes it alot easier to opperate. I'd never go back to the steel jack.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts