V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a first time for everything and this is a pretty cool thing to do. Basically you are making the bottom half of the scope rings align with each other and make the diameter close to perfect so the scope to ring mounting will be true. This process reduces the stresses on the scope that can cause loss of accuracy. Here is a link to the supplies I got off of Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7191565708&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

You apply either a 240 grit paste or a 320 grit paste to the rings and work the lapping rod side to side as you are moving it back and forth along the axis of the barrel.

I have steel rings so it took a lot longer than it would if you have aluminum rings. Still it wasn't bad. It took less than an hour, start to finish and I did not really know what I was doing.

I have on order a new Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Illuminated Reticle Scope so I am getting sorta picky about how it is to be mounted. :hmmm:

Anybody done this?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yep, have done that a few times with good results. These days, I tend to just use the Burris rings with the plastic inserts -- mostly because it seems like new Remingtons just are not drilled straight, and it takes most of the scope adjustment to get the lined up. With the Burris inserts, I can keep the scope centered and use the inserts to get pretty much sighted in... then use the actual scope's adjustments for fine tuning.
I'd be picky, too, with that scope. They are very nice!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David III said:
Yep, have done that a few times with good results. These days, I tend to just use the Burris rings with the plastic inserts -- mostly because it seems like new Remingtons just are not drilled straight, and it takes most of the scope adjustment to get the lined up. With the Burris inserts, I can keep the scope centered and use the inserts to get pretty much sighted in... then use the actual scope's adjustments for fine tuning.
I'd be picky, too, with that scope. They are very nice!
The gun is an early 90's model and the rings are Leupold 30mm. I have not had any trouble "yet" getting scopes to line up properly. I sure hope it is not one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things that have bit me in the ass so many times before. :blink:

The scope should prove interesting. I have never owned a scope more valuable than the gun it is on. With my 50+ year old eye sight, I need all the help I can get!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup....recently did the one piece rings on my AR50 when mounting the NightForce NXS. Actually, NightForce will void the warranty if this wasn't done.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrumScum said:
Yup....recently did the one piece rings on my AR50 when mounting the NightForce NXS. Actually, NightForce will void the warranty if this wasn't done.
An amazing rifle/scope you have there! :thumbsup: What kind of distances do you usually shot?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like Badger rings myself and even though they claim matched sets I still lap them. Bought a 30MM tool from Sinclair's for 18 bucks. Worth every penny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts