V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone,
I'm in the middle of selling my 81 Vette and when it goes I'm going to be getting my first Harley.
I've owned a couple of rides in the past, a KZ750 back in the early 80's and a Honda 500 Shadow in the late 80's.
I rent a Harley every year when I visit Vegas in April. I've done it 3 yrs in a row and it's become a great tradition.
My wife has always like Harleys and she wasn't real thrilled when I bought the Vette a year and a half ago, but as I talk of selling it and picking up a Harley she seems to be a bit more supportive:D
Hope to be posting an "I BOUGHT ONE" post soon but until then I'll be searching, reading, learning and laughing with ya!
I've spent the past on a Corvette Forum so I hope to slip right in here.
Take care,
John

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Welcome and enjoy, post often and get involved it's a great site. Good luck selling the Vette and buying a Harley, what are you hoping to buy and spend?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome n8370c ! Sounds like you're about ready to make that big move. At least you were fortunate enough to be able to rent a Harley every now and then, my wife would never allow me to put that extra expense in the budget HA!
Which Harley speaks to you? "Take me, I'm the one" HA!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm open to several styles and am a bit embarrassed to say I'm not sure of all the different models and letter designations. I've ridden a Road King, an Ultra Classic and a 1200 Sportster. I really liked all three but must admit each has a different feel and gives off a different aura. I think my wife liked the Ultra Classic due to comfort but I know you can put a nice seat on a sportster to help the butt. She really wouldn't be with me that much, we have three kids 11, 6 and 3 so we don't get out as a couple very often. Mostly be by myself with her on it occasionally.
I think I'll be looking around for a month or two depending on when(if) I sell the Vette.
We met a very nice guy in Vegas this past April and he had a 95th Aniversary that we both fell in love with.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well alrighty then -- sounds like a plan HA! Keep us posted.

PS: I'm still trying to learn all the models myself -- what makes it even more hard for me is when they customize the bike

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome to the H/D Forum, n8370c.

Renting a bike gives ya' a good chance to find out what you like, and what you don't. Good idea. And fun, too!;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome n8370c,

Have you checked into renting? You can rent a Harley for a day or so to see if that is the type of bike you can live with for a while. At the price of bikes now, not just Harleys, but all bikes, it would be worth it to rent one to see if that is the one you could live with for a while. Good luck look forward to that I got a bike post soon,

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
n8370c said:
I think my wife liked the Ultra Classic due to comfort but I know you can put a nice seat on a sportster to help the butt.
You are correct...you can put a nice seat on a Sporty, but it will never feel like the Ultra due to several reasons, the solid mount motor on the Sporty for one. Check them out and decide which bike is right for you. You will know when you ride it.
Just my .02

tbone

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased my1st HD in about 15 years, Had lots of others in the interim. Wound up with a Road King Classic as it combined good long distance capability, great look, and a nice ride with excellent handling even for the back roads. My ideal bike will never be made as I want one that is great in the twisties (Sport bike), long haul touring (Gold Wing or Electra Glide), great looks (Harley) all in one. I have had all of these and I think the Road King may be the best of all (at least for me).

If you are not buying new be sure to check out all of the improvements made to brakes, fuel injection, etc in the past couple of years. I really liked a '99 but wound up with an '02 for the improvements.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts