V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my excitment.... after the dealer having my bike for 2 weeks now (stupid emblems), he called and said I can come pick it up. After this post, I'm leaving work, changing clothes, and going to pick it up!!! (sorry Cox9000, I beat ya, too j/k) I'll get pics up ASAP. See ya on the road.

--John

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Come on bud, where are the pictures?;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Teke963 you're an ole lizzard eatin ardvark -- I gotta mind to come up there and give you a BIG HIGH 5 !!!!
Great news, I'm downright happy fer ya HA!
When you get off your bike (I know it's gona be hard) take a minute and let us know ABOUT YOUR BIKE -- you lucky dog HA!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh.... sorry to just run and disappear like that. I'll give ya all a little background and info first.

First of all, and I know most of you are prolly gonna call me a RUB, but oh well. I'm 23 years old and I graduated college last december. I've wanted a Harley all my life, and so has my dad, but he never had the cash since paying for me and my sister and everything. (younger sis... 19 right now)

I finally had the chance, so I bought the Harley with my dad. So we both get what we want and have a chance to "bond" over working on it, talking about it, the whole deal. One thing we get to share :). I've been working on cars since I was about 13 with friends and he could never join in 'cause he felt funny not knowing as much as his son. Now we get to start something together (even though I know a lot more than him already). and this way I can buy another it a year or two (maybe 3 ;) ) and we can ride together.

So Friday the dealer called and told me it was in, but we didn't make it before the salesman left. Saturday my dad worked, and Sunday the dealer was closed. Tonight we finally picked it up. I rode it home 'cause he doesn't have a license yet. best 30 miles I can remember in a long time :) and damn.. that bike is heavy as hell (much heavier than the little sport bikes I'm used to from college)

So anyway.. thanks for listening. and here it is. Pic is really bad, but the only one I could get off before my batteries died on the digital camera. 2003 H-D FLSTFi. Gunmetal Blue. All stock (no options yet)

I hope attaching this image works :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Teke963,
I sure enjoyed reading your post. You my friend, know the meaning of "blood" ; bonding with your Dad like this shows honor and I think it's very commendable. I try hard to keep this kind of relationship with my boys.
Sure am happy for you and I bet you're pretty thrilled yourself. Thanks for taking time to post a pic of your bike, with the battery going dead HA!
My Dad is going to fly out here next month when my bike comes in. I think he's even more excited than I am HA! He sends me little news and magazine clippings every week and then I send him information that I've been getting from this forum.
So you and your Dad will be working on the bike together? What kind of extras do you think you'll go with first? How soon will your Dad be able to get his license?
It sure is a nice lookin' bike. I wish you and your Dad the best, keep us posted on the progress (if you'll ever find time to stay off your new ride HA!)

·
Just bad
698 Posts
That's funny... my Dad is the one that got me started back when I was a toddler riding in front hanging on to the map holder on his Triumph. He traded that for a brand new Kawi Z-1 in late '73 - and it's still in his garage. Motorcycling brings back fond memories all through my growing up years. The Z-1 was last registered/insured in '82 when I rode it one summer. Since then he takes it out of the garage once or twice a year runs it around the block and puts it away. Since I bought my RC I've been hounding him to get the Z-1 back out of "storage" and do some riding but I think Mom has been persuading him not to. There is still hope though - when I showed up on the King he admitted he had been to his local HD shop and been eyeballing the Night Train :)

I guess my point is that its great you are able to do things like that with your Dad at your age. Due to many reasons (mainly me) I missed a lot of good years for that, and now both my folks are getting up in age. Now I just have to keep baiting him with my bike until he either gets back on his Z-1 or buys that black Harley he has an eye on. :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm pretty much like you thomas_l except my Dad was always a Harley guy. He taught me to ride at a very early age on metric bikes. I sure miss those days when I'd go out riding with my Dad. He stills has his Harleys (two 40 models). We live so far apart now that I can't get together with him that often. He is going to fly out here when I get my bike so I'll probably spend the money and rent him a Harley so we can go for a ride. There are no words for the feeling of a father and son bonding, it's a great feeling to show honor to my Dad and then experience his love for his son.
I enjoyed your post, Thanks!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Congrats!! I know you and your Dad will enjoy. I tell you from experience growing up with a Dad that loves motorcycles is a joy, and the bonding carry over to all areas of your relationship. Enjoy the ride.....

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Teke963,

There are no fonder memorys for me than the times I spent with my father in the garage learning from him and working together on bikes, cars and anything else we could get our hands on. I am a better man today because of him and the time we spent together........God I miss him......

savor every moment of it and do not miss the opportunity to share these times and experiences for any reason. You will be very thankful you did one day.

Congrats on the new scoot and have a great time riding it with your dad.

Bigdog

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm happy to find a board where so many people understand my desire to do this with my dad. A lot of people don't understand it, but I've looked for something for us to have together for a long time.

Cox9000--

My Dad is gonna get his license ASAP. He wants to take the MSF course, but with him working for the phone company, he tends to work late on Fridays or he works on Saturday. Kinda causes a problem with MSF near us only being offered when he is working.

We don't really know what we are gonna do to the bike. Couple of ideas we've been throwing around are new seat, new pipes, handle, maybe bars, and we both wanna get that speedo/tach combo gauge. kinda sucks not having a tach when downshifting, especially when you don't have enough experience on Harleys to know when exactly to shift. Other than that, we are just looking around to see what we like.

I'll see you all on the road... sooner or later :)

--John

·
Registered
584 Posts
I second bigdog0099. As I grew up, my father would allow me to work with him on cars. He never wanted me to have a street bike, because he said they were too dangerous.(cagers, being an only child and all that) However, I always had a dirt bike or ATV and we used to ride trails together. Well, when I got here in Germany in Nov00, my father passed away pretty much a month-to-the-day later. There are a lot of things left unsaid, I miss him terribly, and I'd give anything to have him here. I still haven't faced the fact yet, unlike my Mom, but living in Germany helps in avoiding the fact. It wasn't a popular decision, but I purchased a 2002 RK. I won't see it until I get home in March03, but I truly think that my Dad will be there in spirit with me when I take long rides in country.
(O.K. put away the tissues)
Enjoy everyday with your Dad and cherrish the times you've had and will have.
Oh, sweet ride. I'm sure you'll love the h3ll out of riding it. Be safe and take care. J.T.

·
Registered
695 Posts
fearnot69 , thomas_l , hogg831 , bigdog0099 , Teke963 and all the others -- I just wanted to say you all are good people and like some of you have said, "I hope to see or meet you on the road oneday"

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Teke963 said:
heh.... sorry to just run and disappear like that. I'll give ya all a little background and info first.

First of all, and I know most of you are prolly gonna call me a RUB, but oh well. I'm 23 years old and I graduated college last december. I've wanted a Harley all my life, and so has my dad, but he never had the cash since paying for me and my sister and everything. (younger sis... 19 right now)

I finally had the chance, so I bought the Harley with my dad. So we both get what we want and have a chance to "bond" over working on it, talking about it, the whole deal. One thing we get to share :). I've been working on cars since I was about 13 with friends and he could never join in 'cause he felt funny not knowing as much as his son. Now we get to start something together (even though I know a lot more than him already). and this way I can buy another it a year or two (maybe 3 ;) ) and we can ride together.

So Friday the dealer called and told me it was in, but we didn't make it before the salesman left. Saturday my dad worked, and Sunday the dealer was closed. Tonight we finally picked it up. I rode it home 'cause he doesn't have a license yet. best 30 miles I can remember in a long time :) and damn.. that bike is heavy as hell (much heavier than the little sport bikes I'm used to from college)

So anyway.. thanks for listening. and here it is. Pic is really bad, but the only one I could get off before my batteries died on the digital camera. 2003 H-D FLSTFi. Gunmetal Blue. All stock (no options yet)

I hope attaching this image works :)
Damn, that bike looks kinda like.....

Great color dude!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.