V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
extant
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*This is a repost as I buried it in the middle of the daily diary thread. Thought it was worthy of it's own thread.

Bike-1 / Buck-0

It was quite the some week for me. Some of ya may have seen me post this elsewhere, but here's my story and I'm stuck with it.

Details: 01 NOV 2011

I was on my way home an hour after dark. I left hard from a stop sign spanking "Killer" through the 1-3 gears to near redline, shifted into 4th (you do the math) just as a deer bolted from the short side of the county road. I swerved hard to the left, he dropped his head like a football player and broke his left antler with my right ribs. His front quarter contacted squarely with my now very sore thigh. He landed in a pile where you see him in the pic. I'm OK. He's in the freezer. AMAZINGLY the only damage to the bike was 4 or 5 fins on the open element air cleaner that were slightly bent, and some shiite on the rear of the exhaust, although it not clear at this time if it was Bucky's or mine...

Yeah, I'm really sore in the ribs and thigh today but at least the headache is going away.

Attachments

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Frickin awesome!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
could you not find a better way to get a buck in the freezer

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Count your blessings that you are not in a refrigerator too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Glad to hear your OK .

I would suggest back straps in a nice teriaki marinade , on the grill cooked medium rare.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
a little early in the season to bag a basket rack buck. I would have waited for the monster.:whistle:

amazing story.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Up here they are in rut, plus bad time of day. Deer Season starts for me, in little over a week.

·
extant
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I know better. They are already stupid here and have been chased for a couple weeks. This area is a very rural part of upstate NY and we (our family) has been hunting it for over 150yrs. The Warden was having a hen party til after 9PM so I was out for a joy ride til they were done.

I've been getting even with Bucky every night though...:beer:

Here's a pic of half of the boy.

Loin steaks tonight!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Divine Intervention.
July 22nd Ind 56 Five or so miles pass Vevay Ind. 5:30 in the afternoon running 3 seconds behind my riding bud and his wife at 60 mph. Heading to the ABATE boogie.Hes riding a Ultra and pulling a trailer I'm on my classic. Full grown deer shoots out of a small gulley full bore fixing to jump in the drivers seat in. My bud has the footrest mounted out side of the crash bars. Deer is in full stride the second its forward left leg hit the ground prior to hitting the bike the footrest tripped the deer. Its nose knocked of the cover of his air horn (Fireman edition) Deer is falling, hits the left fender of the trailer and rolls one time between me and buds and goes off the right side of the road. Forward momentum the whole episode. I've replayed it in my mind a zillion times. As I said Divine Intervention. It could have been one heck of a bad day.
Glad you will recover many are not so fortunate in both cars and on bikes. Deer collisions/ avoiding kills untold numbers.
I say all the time the states with high deer numbers should give two free doe tags to anyone with a motorcycle endorsement on their DL.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Very glad you came out OK and alive!

While I understand the thrill of hunting deer with a motorcycle, with the adrenaline rush and all...... I would suggest you can still eat bambi using one of these modern tools with a kit more of the risks to your own body mitigated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts