V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, have had it for a while but never this bad. Sometimes when I go to crank my bike, it just clicks. It has done it with old batteries, new batteries, in between batteries. Doesn't matter. Once in a while. Click. Not a dead battery click. Just a big click like the starter is frozen. If I keep tapping the start button eventually it will unstick. But right now I am writing this because I have been trying to get it to crank for the last half hour to no avail.
It is a 1994 EG, stock with 80k miles.

What the heck is going on?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've battled this same problem for most of the 10 years I've had my Softail. I've cleaned and replaced everything at one time or another to have the problem continue. I'm talking everything; starter, battery, several relays, etc, etc. Prior to a 6,000 mile round trip this summer, it started clicking really bad before I left to the point I almost cancelled. I fixed it and made the trip, and haven't had the problem since June.

What it was, was the starter wire from the button to the cannon plug behind the tank was bad. The end behind the tank was bad. I put on new connection, and then cradled the wire with the other wires so there was no tension at all on the connection. The test is in the service manual. I just never had the problem in the past at the same time the tank was off, so I didn't think to check it at those times.

That's what finally seems to have worked for me. May or may not be your problem. Good luck. IMO 95 was the last year of the "easy" wiring system. I dread the day I have a problem with my 01 RK.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Also check the tightness of all cable connections. Keep them clean too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Right after I typed this thread, I went outside and the bike cranked right up. At least I got to ride today. I need to address this before I get stuck somewhere. I'm going to start under the tank. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem and my switch went bad. I pulled off the switch and saw where it was arcing. I replaced the switch and no more problems.

Gunnar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts