V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 EFI Deuce with stage I a/c kit and hooker short staggered pipes. Will just cams alone give me a performance enhancement. I have heard the SE211's are better than the SE203's.
As far as the EFI ECU remap does SE have a remap for the addition of cams? I am aware of the remap for stageI and pipes and remap for the bigbore, but is there a remap for the addition of cams?
What about big bore kit with stock heads and 211 cams, will the stock heads choke my 1550 with cams set up.?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
chingon,

There's no replacement for displacement.

The general advice I've read is that one should do both the big barrel upgrade and cams at the same time .

I appreciate that that is not what you are asking. I'm sure you'll get lots of replies.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I kind of went this route. It’s definitely more expensive this way though. I did the pipes and carb jetting, and noticed an improvement. Then I had the SE204 cam put in, and noticed an improvement. At last I had the big bore and a set of SBC heads. I noticed a HUGE difference with that. My take is if you can do it all at one time that’s the best way.

From what I understand, you’ll also need to have a remap each time you change something. That’s obviously another good reason to do it all at once.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I remember someone saying back when I was trying to decide, that the 203 was just about the same as stock. The intake and exhaust duration was a little better on the 204. I also think some one said the 204 was a little better for mid-range power and the 203 was for low-end.

I really wanted the 211 but the dealership wouldn't cover that one under warranty. Now that I'm out of the warranty I'm trying to figure out where I want to go. I know I'm going to change the cam in January or February. I'm thinking of going to a gear driven set up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cams are my next project. Going to start in January. FXDWG still 88 ci. Free-flowing exhaust and a/c, Mikuni HSR carb. Always wonder what leads to an "over-cam" situation with a bolt-in. Looking for more torque at low to mid-range. Comments? Cam recommendations?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guys, just my two cents, but I have owned three twin cams, and tried to build each one up with different results. The heads on a TC are so restrictive that just adding cams to a stock 88 or even a 95 does very little good. The big bore is the best thing to do if budget is limited. The next thing is to do if money permits is a set of heads while the motor is apart. No more labor to do it then. If you add the heads then, and you still don't have enough power, your motor is ready to have a big set of cams added later when you get the money. Believe me, you will want more. So my advice is either plan to stick with a big bore kit, or plan for the future and do the heads. I did a 211 cam, which is the bigger you can go without better valve springs. I couldn't tell the difference until the heads were changed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shooter, the TC's you upgraded was any of them the "balanced" version, I'm being told now that with the same mods the balanced motor still won't have the punch that an unbalanced motor will, why is this?
Also the EFI won't perform as well as the carbed motor.
What kind of difference did you tell from 88 to 95 without the heads, at that time prior to head job, dod you not tbning the upgrade was worth it?
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm just trying to get some answers from real riders prior to dropping some change, most of the workers and techs at my stealership don't even own HD's or even currently ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The balanced version will be a little (doubt you could tell the difference on the assometer) slower. The reason is the balanced version is turning the balancer and chain.

I’ve heard here on this site that the carb will be faster than EFI. I can’t remember why.

The big bore kit is one of the better upgrades. There is no substitute for cubic inches. A 95 cu. inch is about 8% larger than an 88 cu inch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
my two cents worth,if you can not afford head work now do the
scotts-man hop up with the 211 cams. i would get a efi tuner
to compliment what ever engine mods you do. it comes with
10 down loads to assist you on engine tuning.i have installed
211 on b engines,the only issue i see with (b) engine is they
do not deceallerate like an (a) engine
short-block charlie

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oaktown said:
Cams are my next project. Going to start in January. FXDWG still 88 ci. Free-flowing exhaust and a/c, Mikuni HSR carb. Always wonder what leads to an "over-cam" situation with a bolt-in. Looking for more torque at low to mid-range. Comments? Cam recommendations?
Set up my 2000 FXST TC88 with the same setup and used the Andrews 37g cams with a S&S gear drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
211 Cams

I have an 04 Road Glide with the 1550 and stock heads. Had just a race tuner with exhaust. It dyno'd at 79 hp with 84 ft pnds of torque. I just added the 211's a few days ago and the numbers jumped to 90 hp @ 96 pt pnds. That was after being re dyno tuned. I noticed a huge increase of mid range power and a moderate low end increase. I know heads would have made it even better, but that's where my budget ended.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Gleno, was there any particular reason you went with the 211's vs 204's? I am in the same boat as far as using stock heads. did you use a stock head gasket or did you use the thinner head gasket to get those #'s. mine is at 76hp and 86tq and I would be happy to get 85/90.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bikinaz said:
The big bore kit is one of the better upgrades. There is no substitute for cubic inches. A 95 cu. inch is about 8% larger than an 88 cu inch.
I do not agree with this. And here is an example. A ducati with a 749cc engine puts out about 135hp properly set up. Displacement is nicec, but not a true performance answer.

The heads on the twin cams are even more restrictive than the evo's. Smaller everything.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Earlier this year I did SE203 cams (already had EFI Kit) and EFI Fueler.
Yes, the bike takes off much beter, just with the cams.
But as always, the more the better, now I am doing the 95" kit, the bike is on the shop as we speak.
But to answer your question, yes the cams alone are worth it, it is simple task plus you can always keep em if you only do a 95" without heads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
SBC's 95" Kit

I should receive SBC's 95" kit in a few days. Obviously, I won't be able to ride until spring, here in the Northeast to realize the difference in performance. They did the Scottsman head work, and bored jugs to 95" w/flat top pistons. I'm installing the Andrews 37G's adv. 2 deg., Basisley spring and 3.37 gearig.

My 88B put up some pretty impressive numbers, (stock), running a Kerstetter blueprinted / flowed 40mm CV. (I'll have to post my dyno results as a comparasion to the stock numbers, 76 hp/86 lb/ft tq.) I'm running the SE 2 into 1 Pro pipe with no baffle and torque cones. SE high flow intake, Carb is 48 slow, 200 high, Dyno imulsion tube, poly Thunderslide and Dynojet needle. Aircleaner is a SE/K&N Super Sucker style and SE 6200 rpm ignition.

Can't say enough good things about Charlie and Tim @ SBC from a tech. advice standpoint. Can't wait to get the gearing and Barnett clutch installed so I can start disassembling the engine to do the cam, jug and head work.
:thumbsup:
DLR

·
Registered
62 Posts
211's

Heads are stock with stock 95 pistons. Didn't even brake open the top of the motor. Just cut the stock push rods out and went with adjustable. I was surprised at the increase in torque and HP. But I have the printout from the dyno.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Dragon_MD said:
I do not agree with this. And here is an example. A ducati with a 749cc engine puts out about 135hp properly set up. Displacement is nicec, but not a true performance answer.

The heads on the twin cams are even more restrictive than the evo's. Smaller everything.
135 hp at what rpm?? we are talking about motors that seldom see the high side of 6000 rpms....torque is what moves anything from rest...important when you are trying accelerate 850 lbs of bike. So displacement is very important.
Always build the biggest motor you can afford...lots of twin cams out there at 95" making 100 ftlbs at 3000 rpm. I doubt that Ducati makes enough torque at 3000 rpm to take out the trash.
Now....No knock on Ducks...my friends 900 monster was a rush.!! But you cant compare apples to ...well ..you know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts