V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 04 883 and its a great bike. I want to make it louder but cant quite afford pipes right now. What will it sound like if I drill out the baffles? Is there a link to where I can find a how to? Also, what can you tell me about lower hadelbars? I like the racey look of lower, angeld handle bars but cant find them anywhere. Where can I? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
I prefer to "knock out" the plugs in the muffs. You get more back psi and better preformance over driling out the muff chamber. It may be just as easy/hard depending on your tools . Bottom line is to remove the muffs (not the header pipes) is the best way to start the mods. As for sound they dont/wont sound like good slip ons but they will be louder and sound OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
If your gonna knock out the cores on the stock mufflers, I'd check Ebay first.
Often times you can find a pair of stock mufflers (for cheap) to test this out on without screwing up the ones that came on the bike...just incase it sounds crappy afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
If your gonna knock out the cores on the stock mufflers, I'd check Ebay first.
Often times you can find a pair of stock mufflers (for cheap) to test this out on without screwing up the ones that came on the bike...just incase it sounds crappy afterwards.
Or plan B, if you dont like them buy some used stockers to put them back stock. No point in haveing a set of muffs laying around (if he likes the sound). I have seen plenty of folks like the sound and plenty that dont like the sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Very true. :duh?: Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

Kags said:
Or plan B, if you dont like them buy some used stockers to put them back stock.
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
HoyaXC said:
I bought a used 04 883 and its a great bike. I want to make it louder but cant quite afford pipes right now. What will it sound like if I drill out the baffles? Is there a link to where I can find a how to? Also, what can you tell me about lower hadelbars? I like the racey look of lower, angeld handle bars but cant find them anywhere. Where can I? Thanks
For good sportster resources, check out The Sportster home page

As for handle bars, have you seen the bars on the 883R and the 1200R? Those are low.
 

·
Noch ein Bier, bitte!
Joined
·
113 Posts
HoyaXC,

I have a set of slip ons from my 04 883 that have the baffles punched out. They don't sound too bad at all.

You can have them for 10 bucks plus whatever the shipping would be - I'm guessing 9 or 10 bucks.

They're easy to put on too.

Just let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys. Just to clear up any confusion, these are the type of handle bars I'm talking about.

I like the old "Cafe Racer" style of bike and I'd like to turn mine into one.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top