V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Bike was definately a garage queen.... They still look new, no cracks....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ultraviolet rays from the sun will degrade a tire if left outside. But even just sitting for a long time in a garage, there are hydrocarbons that will slowly evaporate from the tire changing its chemical makeup. I'd spend the money on new tires if it was mine.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You didn't ask but....I just got two metzler 880's and wish I had done it when I got my bike 19000 miles ago. May not wear as long as the dunlops but boy do they stick like bubble gum....and mannnnnn......can cross lines in the road and don't even know they are there where the dunlops always gave a little wiggle. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Make sure that the cam bearings have been upgraded on that bike. If it has been in a garage with those few miles there is a good chance that it was never done.

And while you are in there...................

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
road_king said:
Agree about checking the cam bearings. If it were me, I would replace those 8 yr old tires.
Ditto that on the cambearings.
Also the tires.
Is risking your life worth saving a few bucks on some new tires?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Definitely replace the tires. I know with truck tires, they have a date code, regardless of mileage or looks, the common thought is any tires over 6 years old should be replaced. I had a camper that had tires that looked brand new but were old, one blew out for no apparent reason and they were not dry rotted or anything. If money is a concern, buy some tire irons and shop for tires on the internet and do them yourself and save a fist full of cash !

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cam bearings? As in camshaft bearings?
Will do a search and see what I come up with... Anyone want to post a link, I appreciate it. I will have opportunity to put it in a shop from now until December, it's in Florida and I'm not until December (except to pick it up and immediately drive it across the state next Tuesday).... Hopefully this isn't a big deal... Love when I buy stuff without doing adequate due-diligence

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
What kind of bike is it? Softail, Touring, Dyna?

99 Touring bikes were the first year for the Twin Cam.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thatoldbike said:
What kind of bike is it? Softail, Touring, Dyna?

99 Touring bikes were the first year for the Twin Cam.
Wide Glide.. Here she is.....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you have to ask the question, they need to be replaced. There is doubt already in your mind, and for a few hundred bucks you can have peace of mind and a safe ride as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xcelr8 said:
If you have to ask the question, they need to be replaced. There is doubt already in your mind, and for a few hundred bucks you can have peace of mind and a safe ride as well.
Yeah, I kind of decided that. I was going to give it to a shop to do a service and inspection anyway. Now I'm worried about camshaft bearings and I don't even know if the bike is a twin cam.... Heck, I haven't even seen it yet.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
afishinado said:
Now I'm worried about camshaft bearings and I don't even know if the bike is a twin cam.... Heck, I haven't even seen it yet.
Your bike is a Twin Cam. The '99's and part of '00's had ball bearings installed for the rear cam. These were high failure items and were replaced with roller bearings to correct the problem. If service documentation came with the bike, check to see if this was done. You can have a dealer run the VIN to see if it was done, or you can always open up the cam chest to visually confirm.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
road_king said:
Your bike is a Twin Cam. The '99's and part of '00's had ball bearings installed for the rear cam. These were high failure items and were replaced with roller bearings to correct the problem. If service documentation came with the bike, check to see if this was done. You can have a dealer run the VIN to see if it was done, or you can always open up the cam chest to visually confirm.

All correct,and I'll add that if it were mine I'd sh!t can the cams and camchains and get a set of geardrive cams.
No more worries about bearings or chain tensioner shoes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate the input...

I'll do the tires, no problem, I'm hearing it idles really poorly, so a carb kit is on the list along with a full service just for my peace of mind...

Two questions;

1) Did these bearings go bad at 5,000 miles? 25,000 miles?
2) What will the swap from ball to roller bearings probably cost said'n'done?

·
FEAR.the killer of dreams
239 Posts
My advice is while your wrench is in the cam chest replacing the bearings, have him throw a set of SE 203's or 204's in there, it'll only cost you another $200 and you'll have a better performing bike. If you're not on a strict budget, have him install 26G (gear drive cams)-2$en#e-

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
just throw on the tires and ride the bike. Put some fresh gas in it.........the carb will probably clear itself after a few miles. I would also change the oil in all 3 holes. If you are not satisfied with the bike, you can always go back and do stuff to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts