V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 1996 sportster that hadn’t ran in years. I got it running and did a tank flush and a thorough carb clean. Set to s&s settings. Bike started first try and runs. Today I rode to work first time. Has a flat spot 1/3 throttle stumble with occasional pops out the carb. Gag the throttle and it runs great. Flat spot seens to be between 30-50% throttle approximately. Pulled a plug when I got home and it looks a little lean but not dangerously so. If you snap throttle from idle it will stall, but from 1500 will spin right up. Comes down fast also. Seems to be intermediate circuit with my minimal tuning knowledge. Has S&S G, S&S air filter and long skinny drag pipes. Low jet is .0295 main is .074. I’m new to the Harley scene and hate my first one has carb issues already. I’m tempted to put a cv carb back on since I have more experience with them on my Suzuki’s

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get rid of the drag pipes and put something with mufflers on. Will significantly help with low end grunt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drag pipes will definitely get lollipops as soon as possible, however my wife broke her foot the day I got the bike so we are down to one income for a while. I would like to have it ridable, without damaging the engine

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
So I recently bought a 1996 sportster that hadn’t ran in years. I got it running and did a tank flush and a thorough carb clean. Set to s&s settings. Bike started first try and runs. Today I rode to work first time. Has a flat spot 1/3 throttle stumble with occasional pops out the carb. Gag the throttle and it runs great. Flat spot seens to be between 30-50% throttle approximately. Pulled a plug when I got home and it looks a little lean but not dangerously so. If you snap throttle from idle it will stall, but from 1500 will spin right up. Comes down fast also. Seems to be intermediate circuit with my minimal tuning knowledge. Has S&S G, S&S air filter and long skinny drag pipes. Low jet is .0295 main is .074. I’m new to the Harley scene and hate my first one has carb issues already. I’m tempted to put a cv carb back on since I have more experience with them on my Suzuki’s
One of the more experienced fellas can probably suggest how to get you dialed in a little better, but seems the G is a lot of carb for a Sportster. OTOH the CV40 works very well on my Buell and worked well on a stock 88" TC.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not real familiar with Sportsters so please forgive me if this question doesn't apply. Is there a nipple on your intake manifold for a vacuum hose. If there is, is it open? I've seen two different bikes where a vacuum leak there caused the same issue. Also, as stated by others, that G is awfully big for a sporty. S&S recommends them only for motors over 100ci I believe. Even the S&S 111ci motor comes with an E.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts