V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '03 FLSTF back, with a Legend air ride system. Boy, what a difference! The ride is vastly improved, and I can drop the bike 3" and lift it up on demand. An expensive system, but it convinced me. My only complaint is that I have the rockerbox guage panel, and it gets really hot, and I feel it while riding. It'll be burning me in the summer, so I am going to move the pressure guage and switches up to the risers, where I can see it. I might just ditch the guage all together, since it's easy to know when it's adjusted correctly based on the ride. When I picked it up, it was underinflated, and it felt like a hardtail. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How is it with...

Phats..

How's the bike with 2-up? I was considering in getting one installed too, but worried also about the maintenance and reliability. I hate for that air bag to go out while on a long trip.

Roadhwg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, 2 up is the reason I got it. I'm a big guy myself (280), and I ride 2 up often. It really make a difference. The bike will not bottom out under any condition. I do need to adjust it when I ride solo, becasue it's too bouncy on the 2 up setting. Expensive system, but worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installation is not too tough, if you're used to working on HD's. You have to pull the tank snd seat, then jack the bike up, and remove the shocks. The thing that vexed me was that the compressor unit installation blocks the transmission drain plug. That means you will have to remove the compressor in order to service the tranny. I had to drill and tap a new drain plug in a location that was accessible, so it will be unnecessary to touch the suspension.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Phatboyeee,

I have seen three or four of these installed. Some of the compressors are loud and some are very quiet. How is yours. Also have you seen the mount that houses an oil pressure guage along with the air pressure guage? Opinion?

Thanks,

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can lower the bike for looks but it rides like a hardtail. Also, on the one I purchased last year for a Heritage, you could not add air while on the bike. The guage was absolutely no help and it was hard to get it dialed in. It improved the ride but there was more hassle than I expected. Bought a Road Glide when it did not solve back problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The system was not cheap....about $1800. My compressor is not too loud. You can hear it when inflating, but only with the engine off.

Honky:

Tank had to be removed to route air and electric lines.

BDog:

I'll snap a picture of the bike with the suspension bottomed out, so you can see how it looks.

Jockster:

Legend has discontinued the oil pressure/air pressure gauge housings. Their oil pressure gauge supplier has not been providing the gauges regularly, so they are going to quit selling it. Frankly, I thought the idea was great, but as I mentioned, the rocker box attachment location puts the gauges right under your leg, and they get hot. Just the air gauge is large enough, so I think 2 gauges would be huge, and might even interfere with you leg position. While the air gauge is cool, I agree with joew, it does not really tell you much, since its reading changes, based on load and temperature. Standing beside my bike, I know to set it to about 60 just for me to ride, and 90 when riding 2 up. The gauge jumps to 120-130 once my passenger and I are loaded up.

FYI...this was interesting....my GF accidentally kicked the compressor air line, and it popped off the compressor. The system did not decompress, because there is a check valve installed....a nice little design detail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts