V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! Just want to introduce myself. Although I have posted a few times I am relatively new here. I got my first Harley Saturday, 8/17. I am 51 years old and most recently rode a 91 Goldwing. My new bike is a silver and black FLHTCUI w/Gold Key package. I live in Delaware. everyone said I would miss my Goldwing but after only 2 days I have no desire to ever ride a Goldwing again. Anyway I just wanted to say HI and from time to time I'll be posting here so you will be seeing more of me here. In the meantime if anyone has any tips or suggestions that will help me with my new Electra Glide let me know. So far it's been great. That V twin rumble is so sweet I haven't even turnd on my sound system yet. Ride safe! See you folks later!

·
Registered
129 Posts
utrvp , you will love that bike , as a tourer it's the best , when you have the urge to make some modifications , feel free to contact me , lots can be done for very little cost .
Regards X .

·
Registered
903 Posts
Oh yeah thats a great bike, congratulations!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congratulations utrvp! You will love that Ultra more every time you ride. I have an 02 and it has been great. You will want to seriously consider getting one of the Zepplin Air seats. It makes an world of difference on long trips. So far that is the best modification I have made to mine.

xrystl..............how about sharing some of those low cost modifications with the rest of us?????

Tommie

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your comments. I am enjoying it very much. Only problem is the rumble of the v twin sounds so good I haven't even tried out the radio, CB or CD player yet. I have considered the Road Zepplin seat. So far the stock seat feels great. Going to take a trip with the stock seat in September and see how it works out. If it gives me problems I will start saving the money for the Road Zepplin. Only thing I don't like is the heat comming from the exhaust pipe on the right side but I knew from previous demo rides about that. If the temperture ever gets below 90 here again it won't be too bad. I could use any low cost modifications xrystl. Tell me more please? You guys ride safe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
utrvp , is your bike factory stock as you ride it now ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tommie said:
Congratulations utrvp! You will love that Ultra more every time you ride. I have an 02 and it has been great. You will want to seriously consider getting one of the Zepplin Air seats. It makes an world of difference on long trips. So far that is the best modification I have made to mine.

xrystl..............how about sharing some of those low cost modifications with the rest of us?????

Tommie
Tommie , what stage is your bike at as you ride it now ? Have any modifications been done ?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Almost totaly stock except for the Gold Key package and some saddlebag lids. Getting a trunk rack as soon as they work out the bugs. Other than that no modifications. With the 2003 Ultras is that there is a problem with the trunk lid if you want a luggage rack. It mounts over the stripping on top of the trunk and when tightened down the gaskets spread out and wrinkle the stripe. They are going to manufacture a new lid with the stripes wider appart. That's what my dealer told me and they won't install them anymore until the fix is ready. I don't plan any engine or exhaust modifications. My riding style is pretty laid back so the stock engine has plenty of power for how I ride and is loud enough for me as it is now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some small modifications to the exhaust and inlet are beneficial , the exhaust noise need not be much louder than stock , but the engine will benefit by not working as hard to reach and to maintain your cruising speed , an added benefit is a reduction in generated heat . At present the engine is quite strangled because of EPA noise regulations and is tuned to run very lean to meet EPA environmental issues . The new Delphi EFI system compensates , but still runs lean .
Regards X .

·
Registered
903 Posts
utrvp said:
Only thing I don't like is the heat comming from the exhaust pipe on the right side but I knew from previous demo rides about that. If the temperture ever gets below 90 here again it won't be too bad.
This might be a dumb question but you do know to take the lower fairings off in the summer, right?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I do plan on removing the lowers but just got the bike a few days ago and haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
xrystl, Are you same person who posts on J&P site?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Once you take the lowers off you'll notice the ride's alot cooler. I usually take them off around May and put them back on the end of September. They do make a big difference in rider temperature. Another thing you may want to do is put some highway pegs on your engine guards. This way if you have a semi-hot day after the lowers are back on you can put your feet up there and cool off a little.

·
Registered
695 Posts
utrvp,
Congratulations on your new FLHTCUI! What was it that made you switch to a Harley? I know it's a dumb question but everybody has their reasons.
I'm currently riding a Yamaha touring bike and I've also owned a Goldwing in the past. I'm waiting on my first Harley that's been on order since June.
Glad to hear you got your bike and look forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I to just went from a 2000 Goldwing, to a 03 Ultra. The Goldwing is a great bike, but it is like kissing your sister. I just needed a little more pop! Before I took delivery, the dealer installed Screaming Eagle 2 slip ons and a stage 1 kit and I'm lovin it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unome said:
xrystl, Are you same person who posts on J&P site?
Hi Unome , yep same one , we have conversed in the past on the J&P forum .

·
Registered
103 Posts
xrystl......... I have installed the SE II slip-on's, K&N air filter and Power Commander on my Ultra. Sounds and runs much better than when stock.
I have been adding chrome goodies as time and money allow.
You know what HD stands for don't you? Hundred Dollars :)

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DNelson said:
I to just went from a 2000 Goldwing, to a 03 Ultra. The Goldwing is a great bike, but it is like kissing your sister. I just needed a little more pop! Before I took delivery, the dealer installed Screaming Eagle 2 slip ons and a stage 1 kit and I'm lovin it.

That is sorta the same way I felt. I have always wanted a Harley but could never afford one. The Goldwing is a good dependable bike but to me it is just too smooth. It seems like it has no character like a Harley does. Too much plastic, you can't even see the engine and the engine seems like it is 3 feet wide. My Harley has it all, good looks, great sound ( and my pipes are stock ), and smooth enough to be all day comfortable yet just enough vibration to let you know there is a big v twin at work below.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts